How Do You Install Factory Windows From A Recovery Partition Asus Gaming Laptop?

Marco_47

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017
I bought a used ASUS ROG GL503 that has a 1tb HDD + 256gb SSD for storage. But the Windows OS didn't come installed on the SSD, it came on the HDD, and came without any drivers, even missing Microsoft Visual C++ and Direct3D.

"This PC" says the SSD has 100% free space, but Disk Management shows that the SSD still has a "RECOVERY" partition hidden in there, with 412 MB free space out of a total 800 MB. I'm guessing the factory Windows image is in there.

I've tried "Reset this PC" but I can't find a way of using the RECOVERY partition from the SSD to install Windows on it. I also tried booting from the SSD from the Boot List. I also tried using advanced startup options to look for any images in the SSD but I haven't been successful.

I also did a hard reset.

F9 while booting doesn't work.

I want to install factory Windows, hopefully with all the drivers, from the SSD on it. How do I do this?

Solution
When you start your notebook, press the [F9] key for OS selection, probably there is only one option. Press [ENTER] for system recovery.
There you have a choice of 3 options:

1. Restore system partition only (data on non system drive will remain intact)
2. Restore the whole system with one partition (the disk will be formatted with only one partition on which the system will be restored)
3. System recovery with two partitions (the disk will be formatted with two partitions - system and data).

You choose the type of recovery you want, and then you just wait. That is all.

Note that prior to this recovery, you need to back up your data because otherwise you will lose it.

Marco_47

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017

As I said in the post, F9 does nothing.

USAFRet

Titan

That 800MB partition is NOT the original Factory Reset partition. At all.
That would be somewhere north of 12GB or so.

There is no OS on this to recover from.

If it had Win 10 on it before, simply do a clean install of Win 10.
You'll have to source the Asus drivers your self.

Solution