How do you make sure the case you buy fully supports 360 radiators ?

timmy_area51

Notable
Sep 28, 2017
i bought a cosmos II case which i supposed would support a 360 rad ,but it simply wouldn't ! my question is if the case you buy supports 360 in its specs , how do you make sure it won't run into problem with MSI motherboards which have massive north ridge heatsinks ? !?

Solution
Yes, that is why I sent you tose pictures.
You can take a look at reviews on newegg for Thermaltake V3, it was either P4 connector or north bridge heatsink and even RAM that caused problem when putting it all in the case.
And my advice would be to change case, because no heatsink on NorthBridge will short its lifespan.
I don't quite understand your question, since according to the specs for your case, there is no mention of it supporting a 360mm radiator. Far down they list compatible liquid coolers, with measures.
If the manufacturer don't mention it, usually good case reviewers state problems with cooler sizes.

Nigel

timmy_area51

Notable
Sep 28, 2017
No , i realize my cosmos isn't 360 compatible , my question is if you buy a 360 compatible case , how do you make sure the fans don't touch massive parts on the top of some motherboards like MSI motherboards ?

Case makers can't really keep up with the mobo makers, since they usually don't even alter the cases each year, while MSI alone, this year, have launched 20 new mobos, and that is only for Ryzen.
As I wrote above, reviewers are probably the best, when it comes to point out weaknesses with cases, especially when it comes to fitting stuff inside them. I find the Youtube reviewers the best in this instance.

Nigel

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

Ok, here is the quick look at the problem, and I hope it will help you!

1st, this case should have no problems with installing top fans:
https://imgur.com/a/9al84
2nd, this case WILL have problems with installing top fans/radiator:
https://imgur.com/a/quKhB

And only because 1st case has top space and 2nd doesn't, which is caused by very poor design and no thinking about possible problems.
2nd case btw is Thermaltake V3 and yes, there are reported problems with mounting top fans.

timmy_area51

Notable
Sep 28, 2017
This is what i mean , here the north ridge heatsink had to be removed for it not to get in the way of the top rad fans :

aeCYeGe.jpg

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
Yes, that is why I sent you tose pictures.
You can take a look at reviews on newegg for Thermaltake V3, it was either P4 connector or north bridge heatsink and even RAM that caused problem when putting it all in the case.
And my advice would be to change case, because no heatsink on NorthBridge will short its lifespan.

Solution

timmy_area51

Notable
Sep 28, 2017

why not change the motherboard ? my case is cheap but the corsair 460x was just as compact !

asus seems to come with the best heatsinks for their chipsets , it's better than both gigabyte and msi . my plan is to save for a threadripper preferabbly with an asus mobo