How do you make sure your secondary hard drive doesn't turn on unless you're using it. on windows 10

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
I have this old sata 1 hard drive. 250gig.
I know with laptops you can make it turn off after idle. What's the default setting for desktops? Since im on a desktop.
It's just a little noisy and it turns on sometimes for no reason. I just use it for a few games I don't play much.

Also I can't seem to run gears of war 4 off of it. Is it because it's too old?

Solution
Windows does a check on every hard drive when it boots. I have 3 drives and I will hear each one of them spin up as my pc starts up, and then turn off after a while. Windows constantly runs background processes across your drives. Look at your task manager processes tab and you will see

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015

I got origin and steam games on it. But I think you're suggesting I have a virus. any non virus that would access the disk for no reason?

ThePlaneAddict

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Windows does a check on every hard drive when it boots. I have 3 drives and I will hear each one of them spin up as my pc starts up, and then turn off after a while. Windows constantly runs background processes across your drives. Look at your task manager processes tab and you will see

Solution