How do you properly install a XFX 6770?

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I bought the card yesterday, and have tried to set it up for hours. I have the power plugged in and the card connected to the MB correctly. When I plug in the power supply the screen is black and has no video but sounds still works. If I don't plug in the power my old VGA connection still works and I can view the video on my screen again. I have read like 20 different blogs trying to disable my onboard/ integrated chipset. I have done that with no luck and I am getting very frustrated. Please Help!

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

I have the card plugged into the bracket on the MB and the power cable plugged into that. The cable for my monitor I have tried both the DVI ports for the card, but only my VGA works and that is an Intel integrated chipset.

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
To all: I am at work but will be home in an hour and can tell you the specs of my machine.
1.) But yes it does have a 6 pin connector that I used to power the video card.
2.) I have the card plugged into the video card slot on my motherboard.
3.)No I did not turn off the onboard VGA in BIOS, not 100% sure on how to. Although I went into safe mode, my computer's properties then into device manager and disabled the integrated video adapter that way; which didn't work.

anything else I can check?

To enter BIOS you would normally have to press DELETE or F2 during boot up.

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Ya I know how to boot into BIOS, but which settings to go to and turn off is the part I'm unsure with.

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

PS-6351-2
Optiplex 755 350W Power Supply
Category: Category Unavailable
Part #: PS-6351-2
Mfg: DELL

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Motherboard: Dell IPIEL-RN2 Socket 775 Motherboard
Power Supply: PS-6351-2 Optiplex 755 350W Power Supply
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Studio 540
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50 GHz 2.50GHz
Memory: 4.00 GB (might upgrade to 8 GB {4* 2 GB)
System type: 32-bit Operating System (wanting to upgrade to Windows 7 or Vista 64bit)

Also my rating is a 4.0 and would like to raise this as well.

The maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating is 25 Amps for that power supply so it should be sufficient to power a system with a single Radeon HD 6770 graphics card.

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
So does anyone out there know what the problem could be? My specs are there they seemed compatible to me as well as others. Maybe there are steps to turning off the old drivers. Do I have to go into BIOS and turn them off? Also, someone told me to uninstall the drivers in the program uninstaller. I am just worried that when I do this the screen will go black and I won't be able to see anything.

Like I said before, you may have to tell the PC which VGA source to boot from in the BIOS. Have you done that yet?

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Ok, when I put the card in and plug the power in I get black screen when I boot so how do I switch it in BIOS when I can't see anything. Plus when I put the cd in it sends me to the website which doesn't give me any drivers to install, so I am stuck in between.

Boot into BIOS without the card installed and change the VGA boot option then shut down and install the new card and reboot.

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I downloaded drivers from the website after registering the product and becoming a member. I then went into BIOS and couldn't find anything related to the new card.

Who told you to look in bios for something related to the new card?? Your not even listening to what others are telling you to do.

devans

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I just installed this card myself.

I'm prety sure the card manufacturer said it required at least a 450 watt psu for one card and a 650 watt psu for two cards.

Does the fan on the gpu start spinning when you turn the computer on? If not, do you have a multimeter to test the PCI-E power connector with?

The onboard graphics need to be disabled in the BIOS. Like mousemonkey said, it was under the integrated periphials on mine.

msodac

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Ya the fan starts spinning quickly for a second or two then starts to spin very slowly. Do you think that it is the power supply? When you went into BIOS which option did you go to, I just have generic names with nothing to clue me in on which peripheral to choose.

deadmercenaries

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I too am having the same issues. When I installed the XFX 6770, I no longer have anything showing up on the screen. If I unplug power from the card and connect monitor to the onboard video adapter, it is then that I can see the boot screen come up.

Mainboard: MSI K9AGM
BIOS: AMI v3.5
PSU: Thermaltake 850w gaming PSU
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 5200+

BIOS has been upgraded to the latest and greatest. No option of disabling the onboard video adapter. Only option is to set default to PCIE or UMA. Currently set to PCIE with latency timer set to 128MB.

Went ahead and installed latest drivers for the XFX card, but obviously does no good if XFX card is not recognized by the BIOS, much less Windows.

Will continue to work on it and if I come up with a resolution, I will post here.

Thanks!