How do you sell desktops on craigslist?

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Hi,
I built a gaming pc, and I want to sell it again. It was built less than a month ago (I just tested it and kept it in brand new condition), and I want to try another build. I'm planning to list it on craigslist for ~$975 CDN, aiming for ~$900 (no 12% tax) after negotiations (would be one of the best deals on my craigslist). I'm neither in a rush nor desperate to sell, as I would otherwise keep it as my own and not build another system.
I just don't know how to let a buyer actually test it. I definitely don't want the buyer to know my home location or step into my home. I prefer to meet in a public area. I have sold a laptop in a coffee shop before, but I'm not very sure if it is ok to bring such a big thing(+boxes+monitor to test) into mcdonalds (is it)?
I would prefer not to go into a strangers house, but if it is safe enough, I may consider it as the final option. I have transport via a car.
Anyone have any experiences/advice on where/how to sell large electronics? IMO, a public area with a power socket where it is ok to use a full desktop would be the best (but where is this?).
Any response will be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance. :D

I am selling the desktop + keyboard and mouse (opened but new) for ~$900; I will include options to add my used 1080p monitor+ new dvi-to-hdmi adapter+ new cheap ~$3 hdmi cable for ~$70; add 120gb ssd (new) for ~$90; and possibly other upgrades/downgrades for reasonable additional costs too. Should I change what different options are available?

I'd be leary about meeting someone at the side of a building with some free power and buddy setting up a whole desktop. I wouldn't drop $1000 that way, no how.

What did you pay for the parts? PC's are like cars. Loose all their value the minute you put it together. Someone wanting a cheap PC is going to buy a new HP from Best Buy and not meet someone in a parking lot. Someone wanting a gaming PC, is probably going to build it themselves, or buy one online.

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Yeah. I've thought of that too. I'm planning to try the market out. I paid less= ~$800 altogether, but looking at all the other craigslist ads selling gaming pc's, it seems to be one of the best. I'm planning to see how many people are interested in this category in my area.

USAFRet

Titan
You're running into a typical problem. You understandably don't want strangers coming to your house, and me (as a buyer) will not buy without seeing it run on my diagnostics disk.

I'm not sure what the solution would be.

And if you paid ~$800 for the parts, getting ~$975 for it is problematic. Why should I pay you extra for what I can do?
craigslist or ebay prices only count when there is an actual sale.

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Thanks for the responses.
I'm looking to test the market first and if I can sell it at a good price, I'll sell it.
But before I list it, I want to make sure I can sell it if I get a good offer.

regardless of your personal preferences you will very likely need to have the buyer come to your house or the house of someone you know to test and pick up the computer.

generally the safe way to deal on craigslist is to ask them to provide their phone number and then you call them to discuss. if they are most certainly interested then you can then give them an address. if you do not feel secure meeting like this then have a friend or family member present with you.

i've sold many things out of the house on craigslist. as long as you do not post your own information up on craigslist it really isnt such a bad place. avoid the blatant scammers who ask you to fill forms out or who say they will send someone around for the item and payment later. take cash only not checks. never do business alone and always have backup. follow common sense and its rather safe.

if you paid $800 for all the parts then you will not get much more for it than this unless of course the buyer doesnt know how to build a computer and you happen to have the best price around for the parts in a prebuilt system.

Iron124

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
I've sold dozens of desktops and laptops on craigslist, and I've not had one of them step into my home. Especially with a desktop computer, people don't expect to be able to test it before they buy it, you don't take the computer out of the box at Wal-Mart and plug it in to make sure it works, you buy it on the liberty and assumption that everything is okay, and if it isn't, you take it back and exchange it or get a refund, this is a similar situation.

Always sell any electronic device with a 30-day warranty minimum. State that this warranty covers hardware defects only, and that the computer functions as described in the ad. Make sure this is stated on the bill-of-sale (ALWAYS have a bill-of-sale, make 2 copies, both of you sign them and you both keep a copy.) If the buyer understand these circumstances, and has a signed document to prove it, it will normally provide enough peace-of-mind that they won't need to see it plugged in and running. The only problem is that the user could damage the computer within that 30 days, and claim you are liable, but that is a rare occurrence, normally people don't want to break their shiny new $900 investment.

As for a meeting place, retail marketplace parking-lots work well. PLenty of witnesses but you aren't actually inside an establishment making your transaction. Public parks with many people are also a good choice. Always meet during the day, never at night.

Hope this helps.

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Thanks for the replies!
I like irons idea of parking lots better, as I am pretty much no way going to let someone know where I live. But what if they want to test it?
I like the sound of the 30 day warranty method. I just never heard of it before. Would the buyer be able to take advantage of the warranty via any other methods if he is a crook? So what you are saying is that the buyer will rest assured that he has the right to return or sue(?) me if I'm not reasonable and dont accept the return? What if he doesn't like the pc (although fully working and as described) and uses the warranty to get me to meet him and return it, or something along the lines of that?

Iron124

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

It's not that type of warranty, you have to write the bill of sale so that it includes only a self-honored warranty for the hardware, not if they don't like the PC. If they are very adamant about testing it, let them figure out how to find a public area with an outlet to set up a desktop PC. You're the seller, not the buyer, there's no need for you to go jumping through hoops for them.

Here's an example, something similar to what I use as far as a bill of sale.

"I, fooball, hereby sell (1) Desktop PC computer to (Anon) for the amount of $900. Upon purchase, the buyer understands that this item is to be sold with a 30-day warranty LIMITED ONLY to hardware and software defects. Malfunction or defect caused by the end user after the purchase is to be covered by no circumstance under this warranty. This warranty is to ONLY ensure that the product functions as intended and as advertised. After 30 days beyond the purchase date, the seller is no longer responsible for malfunction or defect of any sort."

Signed

Seller: _________________ Buyer _____________________ Date: ______________

Of course, just a very rough outline, I'm sure you could do better, but that's the basic liability behind it. Just gives the buyer peace of mind that if it explodes, he won't be out $900.

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
If he tries to return it because theres a defect, how will I know if it's a defect and he didn't damage it on the way back or at home?

Iron124

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

That would be under your discretion. You know the computer will be working when you give it to him, and the odds of a component failing in that 30 day period is pretty slim.

USAFRet

Titan

Ah, but without a power on seen by eyes from both parties, the buyer only has the word of the seller.
"Sure it works!"

Not saying either side WILL scam...but it does happen. The vast majority of sales go well.

But...
Buyer gets it home, it doesn't work...tries to invoke the 30 day warranty'. Seller claims the buyer broke it, when in reality it never worked in the first place.
or
Buyer gets it home, breaks something, then claims it never worked to begin with and claims the 30 day.

Me personally? For a used ~$1,000 PC? Eyes on a working device by both parties before money and goods changes hands.

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
:( was looking good. How about something along the lines of:
A) If buyer can find a public outlet:
.....1. Meet and verify working,
.....2. Charge ~$900 and never see each other again.
B) If buyer cannot find outlet:
.....1. Meet, don't test pc, just look to see that it physically looks ok.
.....2. Charge ~$975 or more (as previously agreed to through email (buyer should agree as the original price was $975 and as it is his fault he can't find a power socket))
.....3. Buyer takes home pc. 30 day warranty-
.....if there is a hardware defect
..........a) Buyer brings pc and meets up with seller outside a pc repair shop (cheap one, not high end bestbuy). PC shop inspects the pc (for a small fee, maybe $20 or so) and determines whether it's a defect or damage inflicted by the buyer. Not sure if this step would work.
..........b) If damage inflicted by the buyer, buyer keeps pc and seller keeps $975. If hardware defect, seller takes pc and buyer takes back $900.
.....If no hardware defect after 30 days:
..........a) Seller gives buyer back $75 through paypal. If buyer broke the pc during the 30 days and admits his fault, he would use the $75 to help fund a repair.

Halfway through this, when I reached the "taking pc to a pc repair shop to inspect" I realized, why not meet up in a pc repair shop and pay $20 for the pc repair shop to inspect and verify the pc is as stated by the ad?:p This would also provide power socket (and possibly monitor if buyer doesn't buy my used monitor). The buyer could also test it there.

Would selling this way be ok? Sounds good for me.

EDIT:
if there is a hardware defect
..........a) Buyer brings pc and meets up with seller outside a pc repair shop (cheap one, not high end bestbuy). PC shop inspects the pc (for a small fee, maybe $20 or so) and determines whether it's a defect or damage inflicted by the buyer.
Oh wait, went over this again, and realized that if I was a crook, I could sell the buyer a defective computer and the pc repair shop would identify it as a defect.
Btw, would posting a ebay "pickup only" ad, and posting the link on craigslist so that the purchase is made through ebay paypal give warranty to the buyer?