[SOLVED] How do you transport you PC? E.g. moving it to a new place

Oct 15, 2019
Hi, I'm having some problem with transporting my PC to my accommodation as I'm worried that I may damage it due to shocks and bumps.

What do you do to avoid damaging it?
Do you take your PC apart?
Should I use the same Box that came with the Case?

Any advice and help is appreciated
Thank you

Solution
There are a couple of options:
  1. You stuff the inside of the computer with non static air foam to prevent the video card mainly from jiggling around during movement.
  2. You take out the video card and other PCIe devices and large air coolers you have installed and pack them up separately.
The main point is to prevent the big devices in delicate and small ports from flying around inside your case. The video card and a large CPU heatsink are two main examples. You can leave the motherboard and ram inside since they are held down tight in place.

It's also highly encourage to prevent sudden shocks if the computer also has an HDD inside. Any sudden shocks to the device could cause drive failure even if it is powered off.
There are a couple of options:
  1. You stuff the inside of the computer with non static air foam to prevent the video card mainly from jiggling around during movement.
  2. You take out the video card and other PCIe devices and large air coolers you have installed and pack them up separately.
The main point is to prevent the big devices in delicate and small ports from flying around inside your case. The video card and a large CPU heatsink are two main examples. You can leave the motherboard and ram inside since they are held down tight in place.

It's also highly encourage to prevent sudden shocks if the computer also has an HDD inside. Any sudden shocks to the device could cause drive failure even if it is powered off.

Solution
Shut your pc down normally with windows tab. Then turn off psu button in rear of case. Then unplug from wall. then remove the power cord from the pc and remove any peripherals. You may want to remove the gpu since that is the heaviest thing on your motherboard. If you do, make sure the computer is completely off as described .. If you have the original box with the Styrofoam that is the best way to package it. You can then put it on a seat in your car, best way is to have someone sit next to it and make sure it doesn't tumble when car stops. Or you can lay it down if you have foldable rear seats and wrap it in a nice soft blanket. Keep it away from anything that could slide, fall or bump in to it.