How does a router split bandwidth?

erfg12

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
I have a 100mb internet provider. I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router.

3 LAN connections (2 computers and 1 xbox360), 1 WiFi device (my Note4 Android phone).

If I have only 1 computer on, and my phone connected to the wifi and I patch WoW or I Torrent a big file, I have never surpassed 16mb/sec. When testing my speeds at speedtest.net I get 115mb/sec, so the speed is there. My computer is newly built i5 processor, an SSD and 12gb of ram, so the processing speed should be there.

When the other computer is off, it shows as 10mb/sec speeds on the router page, and the xbox360 shows nothing, which is correct as it is off. My computer shows 1gb connection, and the phone doesn't show since it's not a LAN connection.

So my question is, why do I only get 16mb/sec speeds on the desktop computer? Shouldn't I get the full 100mb/sec or at least close to that speed? How does this work?

Solution
Question: your speedtest is going to measure in Mbps (Megabits per second), which is how your Internet provider rates your system. However, most file downloads show on the screen measured in MB/sec (Megabytes per second), where 1 byte = 8 bits, 1 kilobyte = 1,024 bytes, & 1 Megabyte = 1,024 kilobytes (1,048,576 bytes). So... if you're showing file downloads at 16MB/sec, that corresponds to data transfer rates of 134.218 Mbps. Which would mean your file transfer rates are spot-on, if not actually running faster...

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Question: your speedtest is going to measure in Mbps (Megabits per second), which is how your Internet provider rates your system. However, most file downloads show on the screen measured in MB/sec (Megabytes per second), where 1 byte = 8 bits, 1 kilobyte = 1,024 bytes, & 1 Megabyte = 1,024 kilobytes (1,048,576 bytes). So... if you're showing file downloads at 16MB/sec, that corresponds to data transfer rates of 134.218 Mbps. Which would mean your file transfer rates are spot-on, if not actually running faster...

Solution