How does a Wireless network adapter work?

Sam Mcdowell

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Im planning on building a gaming pc soon and since i wont be using ethernet i guess ill have to use a wireless network adapter,but im not quite sure how thesework,like do you NEED one to connect to the internet wirelessly?and is adapter dependant on your existing modem?
Please try and answer the two questions listed and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer!:D
And also is the download speed of the network adapter affected by my modem?

Solution
If you are going to make a desktop, some motherboards will come with an on-board wireless card. For the most part you will have to buy a separate card. They usually range $20-40 for a decent mid-range card. After you buy it, you can just stick it right onto your motherboard like you would a independent GPU. As for the cards, they should not conflict with your modem.

(remember to get a router to make your modem wireless accessible if you do not have one already)

If you are not comfortable installing a card onto your motherboard, you can buy a USB wireless adapter instead which will cost around the same.

And the better the card/usb the better it will be able to use your wireless network, but of course being wireless will have its...

Nordein

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
If you are going to make a desktop, some motherboards will come with an on-board wireless card. For the most part you will have to buy a separate card. They usually range $20-40 for a decent mid-range card. After you buy it, you can just stick it right onto your motherboard like you would a independent GPU. As for the cards, they should not conflict with your modem.

(remember to get a router to make your modem wireless accessible if you do not have one already)

If you are not comfortable installing a card onto your motherboard, you can buy a USB wireless adapter instead which will cost around the same.

And the better the card/usb the better it will be able to use your wireless network, but of course being wireless will have its issues. Wireless is never always stable, especially with downloading speeds.

Solution