[SOLVED] How does a working ryzen system feel?

TheGrylix

Prominent
May 3, 2020
I know it‘s a bit provocative to say that AMD never releases a polished product, but the more systems I build the more i wish Intel would get its stuff together and outperform AMD, so I don‘t have to trade reliabilty for higher performance anymore.
I built two ryzen 3000 builds in the last 6 months and four more people around me build ryzen 3000 systems as well. Every single of those systems had problems with the cpu or the chipset, that completly broke usabilty. Meanwhile in 6 years I never had to struggle with any of my intel systems. I know I‘m probably in an extremely small group of people with issues, but seeing 6(!) different systems all with similar issues leads me to never wanting to touch anything AMD ever again...

Solution
As anecdotal evidence goes OP, I completely agree with the premise of what you are saying.

When I build office use, or HTPC specific type builds I would absolutely go with Intel 10/10 times. I know I can pair it with most anything, mobo, RAM, whatever and in the end so long as the socket and chipset are right it's SUPER rare to have any further issues outside overclocking and such...which you wouldn't do with this use set anyway.

I have build trouble free Ryzen but not only was it a laborious process of seaching specific QVL lists, parts, limiting selection based on that, laboring over hours of motherboard reviews and writeups, and even still in my own experience am 2 out of 4 with what I would consider "no trouble".

I feel what you...
It feels great.
Contrary to almost everyone's recommendations, I moved an SSD + HDD directly from an old i5 3470 system to my current system without reinstalling windows, and it worked basically fine (still don't recommend doing that though). A bit of crashing here and there, but that was solved with chipset driver updates.

But I'm curious what the issues are here.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
As anecdotal evidence goes OP, I completely agree with the premise of what you are saying.

When I build office use, or HTPC specific type builds I would absolutely go with Intel 10/10 times. I know I can pair it with most anything, mobo, RAM, whatever and in the end so long as the socket and chipset are right it's SUPER rare to have any further issues outside overclocking and such...which you wouldn't do with this use set anyway.

I have build trouble free Ryzen but not only was it a laborious process of seaching specific QVL lists, parts, limiting selection based on that, laboring over hours of motherboard reviews and writeups, and even still in my own experience am 2 out of 4 with what I would consider "no trouble".

I feel what you are saying. In spite of it, if you are willing the value to performance (and the ball) are solidly in AMD's court.

Solution
While I agree with this for Zen and Zen+, which were much pickier for ram kits, Zen 2 improved quite a bit over that, and now I only see occasional issues with 3000CL15 kits, and >4000Mhz kits. Intel is still more reliable, but by a small margin in my experience.