[SOLVED] How Does BIOS USB flashback in Asus Rog strix-F works and differs with gigabyte b450 arous pro Dual Bios...recovery

Oct 26, 2020
As my old gigabyte am3 phenomenon II motherboard got dead after 10 years due to main north bridge chip failure. I am planning to purchase a new build for Ryzen. 7 2700x or 3700x . As many time gigabyte am3 dual bios saved me for automatically recovery of BIOS.

As I know Dual BIOS is patented to Gigabyte and available in some selected model of b450 x470 and b550 and x570 models.

As I know that MSI and Asus have another option of USB flashback BIOS. Some models have button switch for the same. It is a procedure is to Download the BIOS file online and save it on USB flash disk and through keyboard keys or switch button update or.overwrite the BIOS .if I am wrong do correct me.

Now I have planning to purchase Ryzen 7 2700x or 3700x with either motherboards Asus b450-f Rog strix or Asus x470-E Rog strix- or Asus x570-p prime or go for gigabyte b450 arous pro or gigabyte x470 ultra gaming or x570 arous elite or arous pro

Now as I am confused to selected In concern to BIOS I have following concern doubts and my queries are:-

1. Do Asus b450 F x470E Rog strix or x570-p prime models have USB BIOS flashback options

2. Do MSI b450 motar or carbon pro models have USB BIOS flashback options

3. Why gigabyte b550 all models except arous master don't have dual bios options as it have dual bios in many b450 and x470 and x570 models. Does gigabyte b550 models to have USB bios flashback option.

4. How does the Asus and MSI BIOS flashback options differs and which is more easy stable and safe and less chances of brick or corrupting the bios while updating or flashing.

5. Is the BIOS USB flashback option is good only for updating or can BIOS be recovered also of bios is corrupted bricked accidently while booting

6. As gigabyte dual bios automatically recover the bios from dual bios chip automatically.if 1st bios get corrupted so can we customize or automate or program ourself bios backup recovery through HDD partition. Or USB or Linux in Asus MSI So that it's. First BIOS do.t get corrupted or bricked anyhow. May be said as Virtual dual bios.

Solution
@CountMike firstly buddy I want to thank you bro for giving your precious time precious advice opinions and sharing your knowlwdge

@CountMike thanx again a lotz telling precautions for bios flashing and for bricking recovery from service center. As you told that dual bios gives a benefit of chip where secondary chip should be updated later is the BIOS work properly.

So one my curiosity and query is

1. Is there any software or tool or possible to take backup in flash drive of old original bios so that if new bios updated does not work than we can again undo and write the original old bios so that the new updated Bios or make a virtual dual bios in flash drive or had disk partition

2. As MBs which have bios flashback...

popatim

Titan
Asus Flashback allows you to flash a bios without even a working processor present. You just need an appropriately prepared USB drive with the prepared bios on it.

Gigabytes Dual Bios is an an automatic switch to a recovery bios once the board detects a failed post. Basically, similar to MSI's Dual bios, there are two bios chips installed. MSI typically gives you a manual switch to select which bios you will boot whereas Gigabytes can be a pita; Sometimes you get stuck booting the backup bios and cant get back to the main...

Oct 26, 2020
@popatim thanks a lot for your precious time and advice and opinion grateful for sharing your knowledge . To great a nice thankful to you.

GigabytesDual Bios is an an automatic switch to a recovery bios once the board detects a failed post. Basically, similar to MSI's Dual bios, there are two bios chips installed. MSI typically gives you a manual switch to select which bios you will boot whereas Gigabytes can be a pita; Sometimes you get stuck booting the backup bios and cant get back to the main...

@popatim thanx again. As I was trying to find dual bios on MSI b450 x470 b550 x570 motherboards but could not find any. While googling I found dual bios is patented to Gigabyte and biostar and gigabyte only have dual chips.

Q1.In MSI does dual bios is named with any other name kindly help me tell me any one board of Ryzen am4 having dual bios.

Q2. I think main purpose of bios flashback is to update and Asus Msi gigabyte all even the dual bios board to have to have bios flashback options to update bios as link provided below.

https://www.msi.com/page/biosflash

View: https://youtu.be/BW92bjM7mIA

Q3. Does officially Msi USB bios flashback can be done without CPU GPU RAM as the above. Video shows that we can do by a way but is this way safe and secure

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/global/WebPage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

View: https://youtu.be/bb6h-SB6hlw

Q4. Does officially gigbayte bios flash back done without CPU GPU RAM as above video shows some unofficial tricks to do it buy will be safe and secure

Q5. What's the benefit to update bios without CPU I think it's beneficial for those who have to update bios to support new processor CPU. But does it help anyway if bios is corrupted damaged or bricked

Q6. But my main question was that is bios USB flashback a good alternative of dual bios

Q7. But my main concern is which among Msi Asus gigabyte flashback is more safe stable Secure and can the bricked damaged corrupted bios be recovered by USB flash back option or it can be recovered By only dual flash..or changing the bios chip by service center:(:mad:

Thanx in advance and waiting for your precious advice opinion and reply

Q6, Yes "Bricked" but not physically damaged BIOS can be reprogrammed in both methods. Service shops with a proper equipment don't even need to remove BIOS chip, there's apparatus that can do it with chip onboard.
MBs with flashback button can (re)flash BIOS with incompatible or without CPU.
Asus MBs for instance can (re)flash BIOS only if it's soft bricked like when an inappropriate bios is flashed in or flashing it didn't go thru.
Dual BIOS in some MBs has actually 2 BIOS chips or maybe in the same package. One is always primary and secondary one kicks in if primary doesn't post. When you flash such a BIOS only primary gets flashed and to make them both with same version you have to press some F function button (F12 in my Gigabyte MB for instance). Don't do it unless you are certain that newly flashed BIOS works as expected.
In any case just follow MB manual to a "T" and you'll be safe.
One main rule when flashing a BIOS in any way, make sure that you do it only if there's lowest chance of power cuts. That and not waiting long enough for flash process to finis and come up with post screen are most common occurrences of screwing it up.

Oct 26, 2020
@CountMike firstly buddy I want to thank you bro for giving your precious time precious advice opinions and sharing your knowlwdge

Asus MBs for instance can (re)flash BIOS only if it's soft bricked like when an inappropriate bios is flashed in or flashing it didn't go thru.
Dual BIOS in some MBs has actually 2 BIOS chips or maybe in the same package. One is always primary and secondary one kicks in if primary doesn't post. When you flash such a BIOS only primary gets flashed and to make them both with same version you have to press some F function button (F12 in my Gigabyte MB for instance). Don't do it unless you are certain that newly flashed BIOS works as expected.
One main rule when flashing a BIOS in any way, make sure that you do it only if there's lowest chance of power cuts. That and not waiting long enough for flash process to finis and come up with post screen are most common occurrences of screwing it up.
@CountMike thanx again a lotz telling precautions for bios flashing and for bricking recovery from service center. As you told that dual bios gives a benefit of chip where secondary chip should be updated later is the BIOS work properly.

1. Is there any software or tool or possible to take backup in flash drive of old original bios so that if new bios updated does not work than we can again undo and write the original old bios so that the new updated Bios. Or a way to make a virtual dual bios through flash drive or has disk.

2. MBs with flashback button can be flashed and is there any way to flash or update BIOS with flashback button through does or some tools.

Oct 26, 2020

1. Is there any software or tool or possible to take backup in flash drive of old original bios so that if new bios updated does not work than we can again undo and write the original old bios so that the new updated Bios or make a virtual dual bios in flash drive or had disk partition

2. As MBs which have bios flashback button can be flashed what about other MBs which don't have button can't we update then with new updates bios..I think they can be updated through flashback tools given. By company but they can't recover the bricked or damaged or corrupted bios...if I m wrong kindly correct me...

2. As MBs which have bios flashback button can be flashed what about other MBs which don't have button can't we update then with new updates bios..I think they can be updated through flashback tools given. By company but they can't recover the bricked or damaged or corrupted bios...if I m wrong kindly correct me...
  1. Most BIOS versions allow for BIOS backup before flashing new one from BIOS itself or SW , that will be in the manual as well. Given that all settings to BIOS are only in CMOS chip there is no real need to back BIOS up as any previous version would be available on MB manufacturer's site.
  2. That varies by manufacturer and model, most have some way of recovering from BIOS corruption or it's loss of data. That's usually prominently displayed in MB's description. In addition to Safe BIOS some MBs, like mine for instance, have pins on the MB thru which with suitable apparatus BIOS could be (re)flashed.
There are also utilities like Amiflash for instance that will help make a bootable USB/disk or even Diskette to (re(flash BIOS while making a backup. Gigabyte has atBIOS utility that can do essentially same thing.

Solution
Happy New Year Guy's

Be sure to check the mobo manufacturers website on the mobo's in your list of prospects.
The Asus B450 F Gaming does not have bios flashback but
The Asus B450 f Gaming II does.

Aslo The Msi B450 Pro Carbon Ac does have bios flashback.

Good Luck with your Build.