[SOLVED] How does Crossfire work ?

May 23, 2020
If you run a crossfire set up and play a game that doesn't support it what will happen? will it just not launch or will it be unplay able. If it matters im planning on using rx 570/8gb in crossfire

Solution
It will in most cases just run on only a single GPU. When I ran Crossfire it occasionally on some older games required me to disable Crossfire, but that was rare.

Incidentally Crossfire is a waste of time and money. Most new games don't support it, older games had somewhat poor support, and even when it works right it sucks. Lot of microstutter.
What game? SLI/Crossfire has had driver/game support issues from day one and is on its way out. It may work fine but you won't gain any benefits from having a second card if Crossfire isn't supported, or there may be a Crossfile setting where you'll get a very minimal boost.

Hopefully, others who have used the technology extensively can give you a more specific answer.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It will in most cases just run on only a single GPU. When I ran Crossfire it occasionally on some older games required me to disable Crossfire, but that was rare.

Incidentally Crossfire is a waste of time and money. Most new games don't support it, older games had somewhat poor support, and even when it works right it sucks. Lot of microstutter.

Solution
May 23, 2020
What game? SLI/Crossfire has had driver/game support issues from day one and is on its way out. It may work fine but you won't gain any benefits from having a second card if Crossfire isn't supported, or there may be a Crossfile setting where you'll get a very minimal boost.

Hopefully, others who have used the technology extensively can give you a more specific answer.
many different games I just wanted to know if i did make a crossfire build that i could still play games with out taking out the other gpu or something

May 23, 2020

ya im aware of the microstutters but from what i have looked up doing this will be cheaper than a 2060 super because I already have 1 570/8gb but thx

Wolfshadw

Titan
many different games I just wanted to know if i did make a crossfire build that i could still play games with out taking out the other gpu or something
Yes, you could. It depends on the game and whether or not it actually supports Crossfire/SLI. If a game doesn't support it, you would not need to remove the secondary card. It just will not implement those functions.

-Wolf sends

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
ya im aware of the microstutters but from what i have looked up doing this will be cheaper than a 2060 super because I already have 1 570/8gb but thx

Look at it this way though, is it really cheaper than the 2060 when you realize

1. it sucks
  2. it doesn't work on a lot of games
  3. You hate it and decide to get the 2060 anyway.
Don't throw good money after bad.

In my old system I had 2 R9 280's in Crossfire. When the RX 480 came out I bought it and sold the 280's. Lost money on the whole deal and the RX 480 got lower FPS, HOWEVER even though the FPS was lower everything ran noticeably better. Was completely worth it.

Reactions: spentshells