[SOLVED] How does my new gaming PC look?

BrendonM

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
Hi all,

My old gaming setup is starting to show its age so I'm replacing it in its entirety. Here is the new setup I am considering:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 3.6GHz 6-core Processor

MOBO - MSI B450M Gaming Plus (AM4 socket, Micro ATX)

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 ti 6GB XC gaming card

RAM - Team T-Force Vulcan DDR4-3000 (2 x 8Gb)

Storage - Samsung EVO 1Tb

Case - Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX mini tower case

PSU - Seasonic FOCUS plus gold 850W modular ATX power supply

There are so many seemingly redundant choices out there and the amount of choice is quite frankly fatiguing. I selected these based on positive reviews and a good cost vs performance when that judgement was possible. If anyone sees anything that stands out out as a clearly bad choice I would appreciate the input.

Starcruiser

Honorable
If your RAM model is TLGD416G3000HC16CQC01 then it's on the QVL and guaranteed to work, so it's a good choice.

Besides that note, it looks like a pretty decent setup. You should have no major bottlenecks, the parts are all good matches.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is a nice setup and good psu but too much wattage for that system. Same model 550w is more than enough. Could save for a lesser wattage psu and improve cpu with the 3600 on a Msi Tomahawk MAX B450 board supporting 3rd gen out of the box.

Reactions: Vic 40
I would suggest the Ryzen 3600 over the 2600X for a gaming machine.

I agree here.

I have the 2600 matched with a 2060 super. Its a perfect combo and there is NO bottleneck in any game on max. The 2 parts go together very well.

HOWEVER!.... I wish I would have got the 3600 as its just a bit better than the 2600 and in more CPU intensive games, where no matter which GPU you have, you wont get better performance unless you have a better CPU. An example of this is a game called Rust. Its very CPU intensive and typically any GPU upgrade for that game will make no differance but videos on YT show upgrading from a 2600 to a 3600 showed a 20fps increase.

With that said the 2600 is perfect for 90% of games out today and Ive never been over 80% usage even in new games like COD MW at all max settings (avg is about 60% usage)

As far as the 1660ti, its okay if your fine with 60fps-80fps on med/high graphics. However over the years building my own gaming PC's Ive came to realize that even when I thought I was just "okay" with 60-80fps on med/high, I always found myself wishing I would have just spent a bit more as I like to have some "room to play around" and some headroom for performance as running at your max level or performance on medium settings is just kind of a bummer.

So it all just depends on what you REALLY deep down want out of your pc if this is a good build for you or not. If you think your going to be able to get 120fps+ on medium, which is what I wanted as I like to play competatively, you probably wont. In games liek Apex Legends you will have drops below 80fps sometimes if your running at competative settings, and to me, in my own opinion, thats just not playable. I say this because of frametimes. Going from 1 part of the map that had 160fps with like a 5ms frametime, then getting into a big gunfight with lots of explosions in the big city area and the frametime jumping over 10ms, would throw me off as in the middle of the fight I could feel my input lag changing.

Its a decent entry level build if thats all you can afford atm. Just keep in mind of what you REALLY want out of it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Is a nice setup and good psu but too much wattage for that system. Same model 550w is more than enough. Could save for a lesser wattage psu and improve cpu with the 3600 on a Msi Tomahawk MAX B450 board supporting 3rd gen out of the box.
+1
_

You could even use the motherboard you chose since it has "usb bios flashback". lets you update the bios without even cpu in so you can use the 3600 on that.

Reactions: boju