How does PCI-E work?

pwnedbyryan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2005
I've built my own comp and know quite a bit about computers but have never messed with PCI-E. I'm not quite as interested in HOW it works, as I'm more interested in what a 16X slot looks like, whether you can use PCI cards in a PCI-E slot, and how the different slots look and how they are used. Any info...(especially a diagram!) would be extremely helpful. I'm building a comp for my girlfriend and I'd like to know as much about PCI-E stuff as I can, thanks a ton.

Ryan

pat

Expert
So you want to impress your GF with stuff that others told you? no way! use google, and impress her with the research you did to bring her the best..

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(") This is my bunny.. brought back at the king's demand!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Looks like PCI to the OS, has 250MB/s per pathway, in both directions at once (PCI only has 133MB/s, shared up and down). Runs at 100MHz, slots are completely different.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>