Question How does PWM Hub works exactly?

vleds123

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
Hello, so i bought a DS230 Case and it came with a PWM hub. I connected 2x3Pin header, also my case changes color based on the fan's speed. My question is how do the PWM Hub works and how can i control the fan speed beside BIOS. I know that the 4th pin on the header is for controlling the speed but if u have a PWM hub can't you control the 3 pin header? Im noob in this subject so if somoeone can help me. Even if u don't its okay have a good day ppl!!

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
3-pin fans can only be controlled to a point (they can be controlled), no matter what they're plugged into. As for controlling the fans outside the BIOS, there's Speedfan, but I can't guarantee it to work with all systems. Otherwise, depending on your motherboard, the manufacturer might offer a program on their website to control the fans.

Reactions: vleds123

vleds123

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
3-pin fans can only be controlled to a point (they can be controlled), no matter what they're plugged into. As for controlling the fans outside the BIOS, there's Speedfan, but I can't guarantee it to work with all systems. Otherwise, depending on your motherboard, the manufacturer might offer a program on their website to control the fans.
Thanks alot for the quick response. I use speedfan but it doesn't work, it isn't showing any info (maybe bcuz of my mobo) so I use it for temperature check. Also Im just reading about my very new case https://www.aerocool.com.tw/en/?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=760 and it says "Refer to your motherboard's manual to ensure the fan connector is in PWM mode." Do you have any idea how to do that just so my case's light changes :p

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
name and model of your motherboard and 3 pins fans wont be pwm as 4 pins ones they will be reducing fan speed by lowering the voltages also if you check the user manual for the case they told you to use the 4 pins for the board and that your bios is set for pwm fans that why i did ask for board name .

Last edited:

vleds123

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
name and model of your motherboard and 3 pins fans wont be pwm as 4 pins ones they will be reducing fan speed by lowering the voltages .
I was waiting for that question is there a way for me to chech what kind of Mobo i have even when i removed it to change the case i couldn't see a name or any indication beside is LGA 1151 and yeah its pretty basic and im sure its a low qlty mobo. It has 2 fan header CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN. I connected my PWM to the SYS_FAN.

PS: I launched a game pc became very hot but LED stayed the same I use 2xBeQuiet shadow wing (not PWM) is this why the LED didnt change?

vleds123

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
How do I check that in the bios

My specs are:

- BioStar H110MH Pro D4
-8Gb kingston
-Gtx 1060 3GB
-I5 7400 3.0Ghz
-240+480 SSD HIKVision

I also got the case DS230 with the PWM and 2 fans BeQuiet 3pins also I just learned that I need a 4 pin fan for the LED case so thats one case solved. Now i need to know how to control the fans connected to the PWM Hub using a software and not bios and if I need to change my mobo tell me which one between 100-200. money is tight can't afford the 600 mobo rgb next level shit and stuff