[SOLVED] How does someone port forward using a mobile wifi?

May 6, 2021
Been trying to host for some time, even buying devices- trying virtual servers and all this on my Tp-link m7350, yet time and time again my friends cannot see anything i host- and after being tossed about tech support like a dirty rag, i've come here for help.

Where do i begin with this since i'm quite inexperienced in this sort of thing?

Solution
Sorry late response, where abouts on the device manual would i be able to tell how and if it can port forward?

I live out where i can't get a landline or regular internet- so i've been forced to use a sim mobile for the most part
You need to determine if you have a public IP first. Without that, it doesn't matter.
You need to compare the IP shown at https://www.whatsmyip.org/ against the IP shown in the user interface of the router.
IF your WAN IP address starts with 100.64.x.y or 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z then you DON'T have a public IP address and no port forwarding is possible.
The problem is not likely port forwarding. Port forwarding is purely a method to direct different ports on your public IP to difference internal machines. They key thing is you must have a public routable IP to start with.

The vast majority of cell phone connections use what is called CNAT ( carrier nat). This means the ISP is assigning private IP addresses to the end users and sharing the public IP between mulitple users. There is almost no need for a cell phone to have a public IP. Almost nobody runs some kind of server on their phone so they do not need public IP. What you are attempting to do is very uncommon so the ISP feels that they do not need to support it.

You would have to call the ISP and see if they will assign you a public IP address. It varies greatly between providers. Some the design of their system prevents it. Others will provide public IP some for a extra cost and others if you get very lucky for free.

May 6, 2021
Sorry late response, where abouts on the device manual would i be able to tell how and if it can port forward?

I live out where i can't get a landline or regular internet- so i've been forced to use a sim mobile for the most part

kanewolf

Titan

You need to determine if you have a public IP first. Without that, it doesn't matter.
You need to compare the IP shown at https://www.whatsmyip.org/ against the IP shown in the user interface of the router.
IF your WAN IP address starts with 100.64.x.y or 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z then you DON'T have a public IP address and no port forwarding is possible.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS