[SOLVED] How does the underlying code of Windows 11 differ from that of Windows 10?

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Regarding Windows 11 versus Windows 10, if one were to set aside all conversations about the GUI and focus only on the underlying code, what is, in theory, different/better/faster/more streamlined on Windows 11?

Thanks for any insight.

Solution
focus only on the underlying code, what is, in theory, different/better/faster/more streamlined on Windows 11?
Windows code is not public. Access to it would be restricted to windows code developers.
Developers writing windows 10 code and windows 11 code probably are not the same people.

So you'd need to get code from windows 10 and windows 11 code repositories, understand it, do extensive research in comparing it,
just to answer your question.

I don't think, that is going to happen.
focus only on the underlying code, what is, in theory, different/better/faster/more streamlined on Windows 11?
Windows code is not public. Access to it would be restricted to windows code developers.
Developers writing windows 10 code and windows 11 code probably are not the same people.

So you'd need to get code from windows 10 and windows 11 code repositories, understand it, do extensive research in comparing it,
just to answer your question.

I don't think, that is going to happen.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Regarding Windows 11 versus Windows 10, if one were to set aside all conversations about the GUI and focus only on the underlying code, what is, in theory, different/better/faster/more streamlined on Windows 11?

Thanks for any insight.
Since it is completely closed source code, this cannot be answered outside the dedicated teams at Microsoft.
And they can't/won't tell you.

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Thanks for the replies. Despite the fact that I worded it as such (i.e. this is my own fault), I wasn't literally looking for a source code analysis. I guess I'm looking for something a little shallower...at the marketing level, perhaps.

D

Deleted member 14196

There are a few new interesting features depending on who you are and what you use the computer for you may not fun and interesting

At first Microsoft tried to market W11 as being more secure because it requires stuff like tpm and hyper-V and core isolation and Defender Application Guard for Edge browsing. But then we all figured out that all of those things could be enabled in Windows 10 on most recent computers and older computers were left out, which obviously upset a lot of people. Then Microsoft tried to make a big deal that W11 will have a new Thread Director which will direct tasks to the best core available in Alder Lake cpus, but older cpus will apparently be left out and there's been no definitive studies published show how this new Thread Director improves performance.

So from a marketing level standpoint, about all that leaves is that W11 has a more uniform Settings menu structure and tries to move more settings away from old concepts like the Control Panel. But while that may be good for new users it means that experienced will have to adapt to where all of the Settings are now located among the new menus. They are also trying to update many of the legacy apps like the Explorer File Manager and Notepad and others but some of that just means allowing them to take advantage of the Dark themes.

Meanwhile, some of us still see a lot of problems with W11 and consider it a beta project still in development for months to come. So at the marketing level, the difference is that a lot of it is worse for now and won't be fixed for a while. But that's just me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
W11 has a more uniform Settings menu structure and tries to move more settings away from old concepts like the Control Panel.

This isn't new, Win 10 was the start of the move away from CP. Its where settings was introduced in mostly its current form, main difference between 10 & 11 is where you find things, they shuffled them around.

Win 11 is just continuation of the move to replace CP. If anything, they are regressing with Windows Tools menu as it looks a lot like CP to me
fbZsV3R.jpg

I guess some things just don't fit into a nice category in settings.
I wonder how many RTM versions of windows (not 11, the actual software) it will take before Control panel is gone completely. The removal of many legacy systems from upgrading to 11 will help greatly in the new versions as less need to support things that can't run the OS. CP been in windows since?? dawn of time, so its time to move on perhaps.

Meanwhile, some of us still see a lot of problems with W11 and consider it a beta project still in development for months to come.
Some people still think Win 10 is in beta as well since its model of constant updates means its never really finished. Most of these people are still on 7. They will never be happy.

Its possible its still too soon to know what differences are or if they do offer any advantages as OS only been out 2 months.

I would like to know what differences are in say gaming mode between 10 & 11 but there is nothing out there yet. Not advertised differences, I want actual ones.

Win 11 not that much different to 10 as there wasn't much wrong with 10. Why was it released? MS have always released a new OS at least every 5 years, so it was time. Win 10 wasn't that much different to 8, except in appearance. All 11 did was swap appearance again and people want more...

Last edited:
I would like to know what differences are in say gaming mode between 10 & 11 but there is nothing out there yet. Not advertised differences, I want actual ones.
For sure, and as I noted, they made a big deal announcing the new Thread Director and collaboration with Intel for Alder Lake cpus, but I haven't seen it mentioned since and none of the many hardware blogs seem interested in testing it, assuming they could figure out how. I guess I'll have to see for myself in a few months when I build my Alder Lake unit and finally run Win 11 full time on that.