Question How does the USB-C port on my laptop work and what are it's functions?

Feb 18, 2022
I've noticed the USB-C port on my laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 320-14IKB i5-7200U) for a while and only did a quick bit of research about what it can do. Some sites say it can function for high data transfers, fast charging, laptop charging or all of the above. I bought a little USB-C to USB-A adapter today to see if it would increase the transfer speed of a simple video onto a memory card and the transfer speed is the same with all 3 ports (2xUSB-A and 1xUSB-C) running an average of 4MB/s. Is it that I require a special data cable (such as Thunderbolt)? Do only some devices support fast charging and high data transfer speeds? I'm just a bit in the dark about how it all works. Cheers, hope this forum section was appropriate.

EdPsaJ1.png

E1DwZww.png

LwMjHHP.jpg

Slowest common denominator.
In your case, most likely the memorycard.
while USB-C supports faster speeds than usb 3.0 ports, the device on other end also has to support them.

Also "fast data transfer" is misleading since it was used in pretty much usb 2.0 already.

Thunderbolt is wholly different cable and connector separate from USB-C it has same shape but that is where common things end.
thunderbolt has extra connectors inside the port and unless specified, usb-c is not thunderbolt compatible.

I have Asus laptop with usb-C and normal usb's and use USB-C with extension plug for features that laptop itself doesn't have.
namely:
Ethernet port
memory card reader
hdmi out
extra USB ports.
what I have, not exact same thing but comparable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09491F17Q

And yes, some USB-C extension plugs have power in slot, which allows you to charge laptop, this can be especially important if laptop uses it's only usb-C as charging connector, but you have separate power in on left side so... that isn't important either.

In your case, since you have pretty much all features except ethernet port already on laptop, most of it's features are useless.
unless you want 3rd display.

Last edited:
Reactions: K_OVERDOSE
Feb 18, 2022
Slowest common denominator.
In your case, most likely the memorycard.
while USB-C supports faster speeds than usb 3.0 ports, the device on other end also has to support them.

Also "fast data transfer" is misleading since it was used in pretty much usb 2.0 already.

Thunderbolt is wholly different cable and connector separate from USB-C it has same shape but that is where common things end.
thunderbolt has extra connectors inside the port and unless specified, usb-c is not thunderbolt compatible.

I have Asus laptop with usb-C and normal usb's and use USB-C with extension plug for features that laptop itself doesn't have.
namely:
Ethernet port
memory card reader
hdmi out
extra USB ports.
what I have, not exact same thing but comparable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09491F17Q

And yes, some USB-C extension plugs have power in slot, which allows you to charge laptop, this can be especially important if laptop uses it's only usb-C as charging connector, but you have separate power in on left side so... that isn't important either.

In your case, since you have pretty much all features except ethernet port already on laptop, most of it's features are useless.
unless you want 3rd display.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I did presume that the device likely had to support it as well. As for fast charging, it seems I need the appropriate cable (and device) to support it as well. That docking station seems like a fairly useful device to have in general though. Thanks for your response!