How does verizon fios work?

carltonje

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
fiber is just another way to connect to the web. it uses fiber cable versus copper and has higher bandwidth density. it allows for faster speeds though which is your favor. you don't need any other special equipment though which is good. stand by for faster speed.

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018

Is it wireless? And i heard fios doesnt require a modem, only their router (which they are providing to me)

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018

So if i wanted to connect my pc to the internet, i would need to connect my pc to the modem via an ethernet cable? What about my mobile devices?

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018

So basically, it uses fiber cable instead of copper, so technically its still wired (outside my home). But i could still use it for wireless connection for WiFi (inside my home), as well as wired connection for my Pc? I just want to clear things up, thanks.

Jon York

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Here's really all you need to know. I got it a couple of weeks ago and I would post an awesome Speedtest image but Tom's apparently doesn't allow for media uploads. But the speeds I got were:

DOWNLOAD: 941.32
UPLOAD: 952.98 !!!

I run web servers and often have to download backups of whole servers, then I sometimes have to re-upload them. This whole process on a medium-size server could take up to 24 hours round trip. I just did it the other night as a test and it took 37 minutes to download and 32 minutes to re-upload for a total of 1 hour & 9 minutes! Really amazing.