How does Vsync work on 144Hz monitors?

jcup

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Hello, I just recently got a 144Hz BenQ monitor (2411Z) and I love it so far but in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, I will get stuttering even though my frames stay above 60. I was told this is caused by frames jumping around and it does tend to happen in intense areas. I heard turning Vsync on will fix it but my question is, won't that cap my fps at 60 making it pointless to have a 144Hz monitor? Or does it cap it at your monitors refresh rate so for my case it'd be 144?

Solution

easy enough to try that and see what happens. As others have said, screen tearing isn't as noticeable at such high refresh rate. Also try 120hz instead of 144 as it brings in some different frame rates for vsync to lock into.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
As a 144gz owner, don't enable v-sync, unless your minimum FPS is over 144. V-sync gets rid of screen tearing but adds input lag and judder if you can't keep a stable frame rate. But with a 144hz screen tearing isn't much of a problem, so keep v-sync off unless you get really high FPS.

jcup

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

I get ~120fps and in demanding intense areas I get around 60-80. I'm seeing stuttering though and I think turning Vsync on will stop it. My monitor properties in Windows 8 have my monitor set to 144Hz

easy enough to try that and see what happens. As others have said, screen tearing isn't as noticeable at such high refresh rate. Also try 120hz instead of 144 as it brings in some different frame rates for vsync to lock into.

Solution