[SOLVED] How does Windows 10 decide system reserved partition size on fresh install?

Usernameisrequired

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
We installed Windows 10 on a few different machines and the System Reserved partition varies in size. Sometimes, 50mb, 100mb, and 500mb. Smaller drives sometimes have a larger System Reserved partitions than larger drives. We use the same installation flash drive each time. We've run into problems when the partition was only 50mb and we had to increase the size to be able to update Windows. Is there a way to change this while installing Windows 10?

Solution
That's what I've seen everywhere online but that's not what happens. We created the install drive 2 weeks ago from Microsoft's website. Almost every Windows 10 computer I see in general doesn't have a 500mb System Reserved partition.
And actually looking at one of my recently stood up systems (Nov 2020), the Sys Reserved partition is indeed 100MB.

Usernameisrequired

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
Generally, on Win 10 with a current install USB, it should be 500MB.

Previous Win versions had smaller.

And I am not aware of any method to change this during the install.
That's what I've seen everywhere online but that's not what happens. We created the install drive 2 weeks ago from Microsoft's website. Almost every Windows 10 computer I see in general doesn't have a 500mb System Reserved partition.

USAFRet

Titan
And actually looking at one of my recently stood up systems (Nov 2020), the Sys Reserved partition is indeed 100MB.

Solution