Question How expensive of a soundcard would I need (ASUS PRIME Z390-A)?

Nov 20, 2022
I have an ASUS PRIME Z390-A mainboard, I'm just wondering if anyone knows how much I would have to spend to get a better soundcard than onboard. I'm only running 32 ohm AKG K92 headphones, which are the most expensive budget monitor headphones AKG sells. I'm thinking about getting the Soundblaster Z SE, would you think its worth it? There is also feedback opening apps through the headphones but not through my speakers, so that is a motive too.

It's not apparent what you would consider a better sound card. On-board sound is generally pretty good already but if yours is faulty I'd just go with an Audigy FX if you're not looking for especially high performance or broadcast quality production capabilities.

Another thing to try is a USB sound card. The beauty of these is they're easy to attach and move to another PC with no need to open the case to find an open slot. Windows usually install drivers too, making it even easier.

Reactions: DarkSunPax
Nov 20, 2022
Yeah I guess it depends on what you are looking at. I'm just looking in terms of quality of the product, and I'm worried about the ohms of my headphones. My next pair will most likely be higher ohms. I do like the monitor flat response so I'm not worried about special effects included with soundcards. I'm willing to pay the 130 for the Soundblaster Z so I guess my question is answered unless someone has something else they'd like to recommend.

Yeah I guess it depends on what you are looking at. I'm just looking in terms of quality of the product, and I'm worried about the ohms of my headphones. My next pair will most likely be higher ohms. I do like the monitor flat response so I'm not worried about special effects included with soundcards. I'm willing to pay the 130 for the Soundblaster Z so I guess my question is answered unless someone has something else they'd like to recommend.
I'd just go with the Audigy FX. At only around $30 US it's got everything you'll need to completely replace your faulting on-board audio, including 600ohm headphone amp outputs and header for your front panel HD audio jacks.

The main thing the more expensive ones provide is an ultra-low noise floor for broadcast quality sound production, that's why they come with fully shielded enclosures. And they also include more features in the bundled software.