How far should I raise the voltage of my GSkill Ripjaws 8GB(4GBx2) DDR3 1333mhz if overclocking and reducing latency?

ImGoinToWalmart

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Need help figuring out the correct voltage for a stable overclock from 1333mhz to around 1866mhz also with a reduction of my latency(I hear ripjaws are great for overclocking). Also if my latency is 9-9-9-24 should i reduce all of the values that are 9's to 8 or just the one specified as cas latency. Will there be any adverse affects if I dont reduce them all?
And what I mean by correct voltage is I am asking how exactly do I raise it AND if it is stock at 1.5v if 1.6v would be the safest to raise it to?

Solution
On current DRAM, should manually set the timings and DRAM voltage. When first installed the mobo sets DRAM to the mobos default DRAM setting, prob 1333 and like 9-9-9-27

It's actually a combo of both the CL and the freq as freq goes up latency tends to follow for performance DRAM when looking for DRAM you should take it in a combo of one step (each) progressions - you have 'high' performance 1333 sticks w/ a CL of 7, so to increase performance a little at a time would progress as follows

1333/7 1600/8 18666/9 2133/10

each step up provides slightly better performance - would find bigger performance jumps by going

1600/7 1866/8 2133/9

and the opposite is true with 1333/7 going to 1600/9 would actually end up in lower...

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
For 1866 would start at 1.6, and if stock timings are say 9-9-9-27 start with 11-11-11-28 (take first 3 timings up +2 and the 4th up + 1, then if stable try lowering the first (which is the CL) and go from there, might need a little extra to the MC (memory controller also), depending on what you have many Ivy Bridge mobo are called the VCCIO, on Ivy Bridge the MC voltage is often CPUVTT

ImGoinToWalmart

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I have an Asus M5A99X-EVO AM3+ mobo with this UEFI Bios application that I dont exactly like sometimes, but is easy to navigate I suppose.
I am also curious why you have to put the latency times up before putting them down?
Because I want to reach a latency of 8 which I have seen others do with same model of dram.
Why would I want to put the timing up?
Though Im sure you do know more than me a quick explanation might make me feel better about doing it.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Sorry but when you provide a simplistic question it's hard for us to provide a detailed answer, you gave no model number of the DRAM, no CPU and no mobo....a simplistic question gets a answer that is relative to the question asked...If you have 1333/CL9 sticks and are expecting to go 1866 with a CL8, hope you have serious cooling or are going to run the remaining timings seriously loose. If indeed your sticks are 1333 and spec'ed at 9-9-9 then if the goal is 1866 the timings I provided is a starting point, if you were shooting for 1600 then 10-10-10 is a good starting point to work from, if they won't run at those timings they aren't going to run at even tighter timings, and while we still don't know what RJs you have or what CPU (which might not be even capable of carrying 1866) we do know it's an AMD since you added the mobo, which is a good mobo, but being AMD, even if you have an 8350 it may well be hard to OC a 1333 set to 1866 due to the weak MCs that AMD CPUs have - and will prob take more voltage than mentioned earlier

ImGoinToWalmart

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Cpu: AMD 8-core 8350 Vishera 4.0ghz
And the desktop memory is:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

I just looked at the box and the old invoice because I keep everything. Now I'm beginning to wonder why my latency is so high?
Did my motherboard do that?
Its supposed to be 7-7-7-21

And also from what you believe from either experience or anything else. What is better? Having a lower latency or having a higher frequency? I see you have 2133 GSkill Ripjaws. Does that mean frequency provides better performance over latency because from some research of my own I have seen that latency seems to provide bigger jumps of performance.

I don't know how to upload a photo to this thread. I don't see a place. I could take a picture of my bios.
To be honest I am fairly new at this, but I am not completely naive. I do hours of research and I read articles along with watching tutorials. Yet even after seeing all of that and coming to an understanding of most things through analogies and diagrams I still feel weary about messing with settings that Im told could BSOD my system or have other adverse affects.
From what it seems to me and other things I have seen if the latency times that I read are stock then I should be able to set them to that manually and leave it at the stock voltage and not have a problem. Though I am here asking because I feel like many other people on here have considerably more experience than me.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
On current DRAM, should manually set the timings and DRAM voltage. When first installed the mobo sets DRAM to the mobos default DRAM setting, prob 1333 and like 9-9-9-27

It's actually a combo of both the CL and the freq as freq goes up latency tends to follow for performance DRAM when looking for DRAM you should take it in a combo of one step (each) progressions - you have 'high' performance 1333 sticks w/ a CL of 7, so to increase performance a little at a time would progress as follows

1333/7 1600/8 18666/9 2133/10

each step up provides slightly better performance - would find bigger performance jumps by going

1600/7 1866/8 2133/9

and the opposite is true with 1333/7 going to 1600/9 would actually end up in lower performance as the 1333/7 roughly equates to 1600/8

Not sure w/ your mobo, but with many can get a screen shot of the screen by plugging in a flash drive and then booting to BIOS, when you want a screen shot, hit the F12 key, it will tell you it saved an image to the flash if your mobo supports this.

Yes as mentioned set them manually

Solution