Question How good are OLED monitors for gaming? Are they worth the high price?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
How good are OLED monitors for gaming? I am thinking about getting one if I can ever afford one (I am aware of the risks of burn in, but I am pretty sure by that time I will have upgrade my system and maybe monitor by the time I notice burn-in.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Near instantaneous pixel response time (practically zero ghosting), deep blacks which allows for high HDR support.

I think they really aren't worth the money at the moment. And that is coming from someone that paid that price for G-Sync when it was new. When you can pick up a decent IPS or VA panel for $300-400 I don't think double the price or more is worth it right now.

Your plan to replace it before burn-in would say it would be a relatively short term, which makes it quite wasteful. Whereas I still have my PG279Q just about 8 years later. Or around $100 a year.

I would say if you play a lot of games with persistent game menus and the like, you probably want to avoid OLED for now. But if you swap games regularly during the day or your games don't have a lot of the same pixels in the same places it would be relatively safe to use.

If it were $500 I would say go for it, but not at $800-1000

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Near instantaneous pixel response time (practically zero ghosting), deep blacks which allows for high HDR support.

I think they really aren't worth the money at the moment. And that is coming from someone that paid that price for G-Sync when it was new. When you can pick up a decent IPS or VA panel for $300-400 I don't think double the price or more is worth it right now.

Your plan to replace it before burn-in would say it would be a relatively short term, which makes it quite wasteful. Whereas I still have my PG279Q just about 8 years later. Or around $100 a year.

I would say if you play a lot of games with persistent game menus and the like, you probably want to avoid OLED for now. But if you swap games regularly during the day or your games don't have a lot of the same pixels in the same places it would be relatively safe to use.

If it were $500 I would say go for it, but not at $800-1000
I know that burn-in isn't a huge concern on TVs due to prevention measures and that fact that most people are not going to have a static image on their screen all the time, but what about monitors? I understand how the taskbar and other static elements would make it more susceptible to burn-in. surely OLED monitors have as good or better countermeasures for burn-in, right?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is exactly the same prevention measures. But typical media viewing doesn't have static pixels, so you have less persistence. Operating systems and games do, so the burn-in is more problematic. Only so much the panel can do and still maintain image quality. If that pixel needs to be yellow for 99% of the time you are looking at it, then it is on 99% of the time regardless of mitigation techniques (most of which would be changing the color briefly, or moving everything to neighboring pixels for a frame.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Would games like Fallen Order or Jedi Survivor be fine (as far as burn-in is concerned) on an OLED? I am sure they would look great on an OLED but I guess there is no way around static UI elements. I just thought of something funny: imagine you play Minecraft extensively on your OLED monitor and unluckily (luckily? depends on how you look at it) the only thing that gets burnt into the monitor is the crosshair. Guess that would be helpful for the few shooter games that don't have a crosshair, but there are built-in monitor solutions that would work better I guess.