Question how good is Mastergel Pro?

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 29, 2019
Mastergel Pro thermal paste came with my Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2

It doesn't say v2 on the tube, as in this page:

which sais it's a 3.5/5 in efficiency. So it might have even less efficiency?

My only options for my budget build from same list are:
1. 9$ 4.5 eff Phobya Liquid Metal Compound LM
2. 3fitty$ 4.0 eff ProlimaTech PK-3 Nano Aluminum
3. 2.75$ 4.0 eff Arctic MX-5 (I just read about some consistency issues, and that it's retired?)
4. 2.25$ 4.0 eff Noctua NT-H1

Are gains proportional? As in 3.5/4.5=28% better? And highly unlikely 28% less increase in temperature?

EDIT: I managed to get to the bottom of above linked page, where there's a list of actual temperatures. If the difference is about 3 degrees Celsius, it won't make a significant difference... except I am going to use i5 13600 KF at 5 Mhz, which is an unknown. My i7 3930k at 4Mhz runs at 75 tops perhaps with liquid cooling

EDIT: i5 13600K is unkown no more: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i5-13600k-review,6.html
Supposedly it runs at 73 Celsius max at 5.1 Mhz

EDIT: OK, Mastergel Pro is a decent paste:

If not, this is a cheap good replacement from all I've seen so far:
* cheap opposed to liquid metal pastes

If anyone think different please leave a comment

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Mastergel Pro thermal paste came with my Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2

It doesn't say v2 on the tube, as in this page:

which sais it's a 3.5/5 in efficiency. So it might have even less efficiency?

My only options for my budget build from same list are:
1. 9$ 4.5 eff Phobya Liquid Metal Compound LM
2. 3fitty$ 4.0 eff ProlimaTech PK-3 Nano Aluminum
3. 2.75$ 4.0 eff Arctic MX-5 (I just read about some consistency issues, and that it's retired?)
4. 2.25$ 4.0 eff Noctua NT-H1

Are gains proportional? As in 3.5/4.5=28% better? And highly unlikely 28% less increase in temperature?

EDIT: I managed to get to the bottom of above linked page, where there's a list of actual temperatures. If the difference is about 3 degrees Celsius, it won't make a significant difference... except I am going to use i5 13600 KF at 5 Mhz, which is an unknown. My i7 3930k at 4Mhz runs at 75 tops perhaps with liquid cooling

EDIT: i5 13600K is unkown no more: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i5-13600k-review,6.html
Supposedly it runs at 73 Celsius max at 5.1 Mhz

EDIT: OK, Mastergel Pro is a decent paste:

If not, this is a cheap good replacement from all I've seen so far:
* cheap opposed to liquid metal pastes

If anyone think different please leave a comment
I think you will see similar to the 3C change seen in the benchmarks.

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 29, 2019
Unless you use the original paste, record the temps and then redo the installation, you will technically never know the difference. Is that your plan?
I am using the original paste, and should get similar results. If not I shall come back to tell about it. I am saying that if for different testers the paste came in at a decent position, it should for me too, since that guarantees all the other factors actually didn't matter that much, especially the CPU

kanewolf

Titan
I am using the original paste, and should get similar results. If not I shall come back to tell about it. I am saying that if for different testers the paste came in at a decent position, it should for me too, since that guarantees all the other factors actually didn't matter that much, especially the CPU
The cooler matters more than the paste. What is the thermal transfer coefficient of the CPU plate? There is always a limiting factor. Paste is seldom the limit.

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 29, 2019
Paste benchmarks, and I assume the makers of the ones I watched think the same, should be:
1. same cpu
2. different pastes
3. same cooling system
4. supposedly same room temperature throughout I presume :)

therefore on another benchmark, where "different pastes" will be relatively the same ones, or the principal known ones, the fact there will be a different cpu, and different cooling system, won't make a notable difference. At least in the 2 benchmarks I observed this held true enough, that is to convince me Mastergel Pro is a worthy thermal paste

e.g. Mastergel performs the same as Arctic MX-4 in the 2nd benchmark. In the tomshardware, I presume it's Coolermaster bundled paste (way lower on the list than ) which is at 34.2 vs 32.4, meaning hardly a difference

I pulled another benchmark, because it really matters when CPU is under stress, and it handles it well, meaning under 80 Celsius, and is again in the middle of the table, meaning cheap but effective, a budge paste
* they're testing with air cooling, liquid cooling is 2-10 better they report, meaning it should be under 80 Celsius :)

Lastly, it came for free. If it fails it wouldn't cost much to get a better one. I would recommend anyone to use it right now

Check this happy customer :)

Last edited:
I am going to use i5 13600 KF at 5 Mhz, which is an unknown. My i7 3930k at 4Mhz runs at 75 tops
At those speeds you don't need any paste, and don't even need a cooler. The original i8088 in 1979 didn't have a cooler and it ran at 4.77MHz just fine without one, yes even at 75F.

I am more interested in how you intend to run them at such low speeds, as AFAIK the minimum speed of both processors is listed as 200MHz to prevent overheating, and if the temperature still continues to rise they just shut off.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the difference of 1 version or even 28%, as it's really nothing compared to a six orders of magnitude difference (1,000,000x)

Reactions: Lafong

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 29, 2019
At those speeds you don't need any paste, and don't even need a cooler. The original i8088 in 1979 didn't have a cooler and it ran at 4.77MHz just fine without one, yes even at 75F.

I am more interested in how you intend to run them at such low speeds, as AFAIK the minimum speed of both processors is listed as 200MHz to prevent overheating, and if the temperature still continues to rise they just shut off.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the difference of 1 version or even 28%, as it's really nothing compared to a six orders of magnitude difference (1,000,000x)
OK I mistyped for being distracted and tired, so what? :) I still didn't make any meaningful mistake other than wasting your time to make fun of it. And you deserve it :ROFLMAO:

I have the ability of abstracting irrelevant things, in favor of distributing my attention elsewhere where it matters, which also contribute to me making meaningless "mistakes". That's why I don't mention the specific currency even, and it doesn't matter what I type after specific numbers relative to CPU, or GPU, because I'm already aware of the context

You should've inquired what's wrong with you instead, since that text isn't really comic