Question How good is motherboard sound? (Asus H97-PRO none gamer motherboard)

nofacemonster

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I have been going through numerous articles and videos on YouTube, different folks explaining why I should use a DAC to listen to music apart from using the onboard sound.

Well, I thought I should speak with the Tomshwardre folks to see what their thoughts are about. I am currently running my main system which is consist of a pair of "meadowlark speakers" and a Yamaha AX-397 stereo amplifier with a SMSL M100 MK2 DAC. My source is the PC and the DAC is connected externally. I do have an onboard soundcard too, the mother board is Asus H97-PRO (non gamer board) which I believe has the ALC892 to soundchip.

My question is, how good Asus has implemented their soundchips to the board? Are they bad or better than other motherboard makers?. Soon I might have to remove my DAC and run the system with just onboard sound because the DAC belongs elsewhere.

What I Do is, listen to music, and watch movies, Youtube videos etc. I play all my favorite albums on lossless digitally. (CD quality 44.1 / 16 bit nearly 90% of the time). Will ALC892 can do the justice to my old connected sound system or I seriously should buy another DAC to it?.

Lutfij

Titan
TheALC892 is an audio chip used on boards that are entry level(or bottom of the barrel at the very least), since you are coming from a DAC, what you'll hear is a downgrade in audio quality.

how good Asus has implemented their soundchips to the board? Are they bad or better than other motherboard makers?. Soon I might have to remove my DAC and run the system with just onboard sound because the DAC belongs elsewhere.
For a decade old motherboard's audio, it was good back then, not today.

The chip used on your DAC is the ESS Sabre 9018Q2C;