How Google is Turning Chrome Into a Gaming Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]blackhawk91[/nom]"a much more elaborate game of Call of Duty's caliber" LOL[/citation]

Actually if you think about it, it may actually be possible in a few years. I mean, CoD will still be using the same DX9 engine in a DX15 era... :D

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]blackhawk91[/nom]"a much more elaborate game of Call of Duty's caliber" LOL[/citation]
You've gotta admit CoD is far more elaborate than the old MS-DOS games (circa ~1994) we so often see demos of within browsers, and easily far more detailed than say... Battlefield Heroes?

I would very much like to see more progress within the realm of browser-gaming. Actual 3D visuals instead of NES/SNES-esque 8/16-bit scrolling 2D visuals would be a welcomed improvement. If such things can become standardized within HTML-5, then developers would have a solid, standardized platform on which to base game development as well.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
pcs 10 years ago would have had a difficult time with some of the games you can play in your browser now,,, heck my pc from 15 years ago had a hard time playing a Mp3 never mind a video....

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Actually if you think about it, it may actually be possible in a few years. I mean, CoD will still be using the same DX9 engine in a DX15 era...[/citation]

LOL thats funny,but true

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
3. Joystick API

Last week, I noticed an interesting entry on the Webkit developer message board that discussed a Joystick API. The origin of this API is apparently a feature request that was posted on Mozilla's Bugzilla in October 2010 by Ted Mielczarek. Mozilla has started a Wiki about a "JoystickAPI", but it is not clear how far this idea has gone to date. What we know is that Google picked up the idea, threw it in a quick discussion in the Webkit forum, then subsequently submitted it as a discussion topic at W3C.

Somebody tell them Khronos is making streamInput.
Seriously, we have WebGL. Ask them for a WebInput

chronium

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

Well you already can Battlefield Heroes and PLay4Free and there's also Battlestar Galactica Online to name a few.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Googles dumb terminal not picking up momentum in the business area so gamers are a logical choice to try and get the dumb terminal idea off the ground. Let Google and other companies (government) keep all your files in the Cloud, they promise never to read or look at them. really, Scouts Honor.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Would this eventually lead to not having to rely on windows in order to play games? ie could I play all my games in chrome using linux? mmmm I'd love the day that I didn't need to keep a windows client for gaming. Apple people would probably like that option as well.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Chromium is Linux based? So will I someday play modern games inside Firefox running on Ubuntu?
Microsoft is gonna love that...

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Actual 3D visuals instead of NES/SNES-esque 8/16-bit scrolling 2D visuals would be a welcomed improvement. If such things can become standardized within HTML-5, then developers would have a solid, standardized platform on which to base game development as well.[/citation]

Because games have gotten so much better since the SNES era.

-Insert oldschool rant-

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Because games have gotten so much better since the SNES era.-Insert oldschool rant-[/citation]

Amen. As an indie game developer myself, I can't agree more. I don't hate everything that's made these days, but most of it is just horrible.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Except Wildtangent tried this in IE a decade ago, and crashed and burned?

Maybe a little ahead of their time? Regardless, they probably have mucho patents waiting to ruin the 1st successful business that does this.

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Anyone remember hlep2? Unforeseen consequences? Yeah.. Sounds like it would make pc gaming much more simple for your average consoler... but somehow I think the DRM bulls**t the cloud it going to bring on will make Securom look childsplay.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
This is gotta be crap,I think that they're trying to tame us,so as to get us use to using this browser gaming (browser gaming which is a step closer towards the cloud). So once the Cloud becomes more established,they think that we'll just slowly melt to their cloud ideas & finally cave in to the cloud master of the cloud kingdom.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Definitely want to see where this goes! I'm using Chrome right now, and it excites me to have the idea of running a game in one tab, then popping over to a website in another tab on the fly without even leaving the browser. I could finally drop windows and just get a decent Linux distro for the old school stuff I play on emulators! Gotta love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.