How has my GPU broke overnight?

Dec 19, 2018
Okay, so I have been trying to troubleshoot my problem for a few hours now but I have been able to make lots of progress on figuring out what is wrong with my system.

I turned my PC on this morning and the system was stuck on the motherboard splash screen unable to press del or f8, it was literally frozen. I eventually tried using my integrated graphics and my computer works fine. I thought about installing new GPU drivers for my PC but I cannot do it as when I plug my GPU in, it freezes on the motherboard splash screen. When i try and install it with my integrated graphics, then it says the right hardware was not detected (i can only use integrated graphics if my dedicated GPU is removed).

So now I have no idea what to do, I have tried pretty much everything (CMOS, RAM, SATA devices, CPU).

TL;DR
When I use my integrated graphics, I am able to start windows normally and reach the BIOS as well as the boot menu. When I use my dedicated graphics, I am stuck on the splash menu unable to press anything it just freezes there.

System (it is old as S***)
AMD FX 8320
8gb Corsair Vengeance
GTX 670
Kingston 120gb SSD
Asus m5a78-USB3 motherboard
Corsair 600m PSU

How has my perfectly running system broken over night? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

iamacow

Admirable
If you computer wont boot with a video card in the PCIE slot than either the slot is bad or the video card is. Put it in a different slot to make sure. However with the age of that card, its not unheard of for a card to just die.

Removing drivers will not help. Thats inside windows, they is a boot level problem.

Dec 19, 2018

Thank you for the suggestions, the motherboard is old and old has one slot. It is just crazy, it was working perfectly fine yesterday :(

iamacow

Admirable
Over the years I've had memory, hard drives, video, motherboards and CPU all die from a restart or shutdown. Anything with a capacitor can fall victim to this. Once the cap dies, it can still run until its off for long enough. The energy dissipates and thats it!