News How I Overclocked Core i9-10900K to 7-GHz and Set World Records

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
"At 1.45v for 5-5.1 GHz, that’s a full 100mv more than what I use at 5.4 GHz on my CPU that loves to eat voltage. "
Easy with golden sample and $1200 motherboard, now take 10 random units from any retailer and make them to run at 1.35V with 5.4GHz and motherboard under $250

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Congrats on your overclock and thanks for the writeup. I'm amazed at your lapping results!

However, to be honest, the main reason I clicked was to see how how much power the chip burned at 7 GHz. Please let us know!

Thanks.
: )

Reactions: Phaaze88

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
"At 1.45v for 5-5.1 GHz, that’s a full 100mv more than what I use at 5.4 GHz on my CPU that loves to eat voltage. "
Easy with golden sample and $1200 motherboard, now take 10 random units from any retailer and make them to run at 1.35V with 5.4GHz and motherboard under $250
I preordered 3 i9900Ks - 2 of them were silicon lottery winners - 5.0 all cores, no issue, no heat, minimal additional voltage - the 3rd was throttling at 4.9 all cores - Exact same motherboard, exact same paste, exact same cooler. Returned it, the replacement was much better, but not to the level of the other 2. Alot to be said for getting lucky.

So you are saying that he has a special sample of the CPU (maybe) and it's his $1200 motherboard (maybe)

So will you be posting YOUR results with the 10 rando samples and the $250 motherboard?

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
Idk why you talking about silicon lottery winner with 9900ks which make 5ghz with additional voltage , when this is the minimum for this cpu with stock settings, you are more like loser not to mention the expensive motherboard which you have and 9900ks 4.9? Sorry man.

I don't say he have bad results or he can't overclock, but he changing the lid, using second generation of motherboard with first generation costing $1100 and talking how 10900k run cool and nice not to mention that he have a golden sample -
"I was shocked when I first read that some leakers claimed the 10900K runs extremely hot. I had the exact opposite reaction. If so, how can I OC to 5.4 GHZ and not break 80C when the chip is under load? ".
In real life you must to be extremely lucky to get something like this, look at your experience with 9900ks.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
Yes, my bad, but still I have friend with 6500 non K clocked to 4.9 and two more frends with 7700k, the first with 5.1 and the second 5.2GHz with 1.35V and 3-4 years later the best of the best samples barely reach 5.4 with copper lid. This is not progress, even the IPC is same with little bump of 3-4% for kabby and 4 years later everything is same, with more cores. 4 years ago AMD was with Trash-dozer and now they have Zen 2 and Zen 3 is coming in the next months.

Apr 1, 2023
World-leading competitive overclocker Splave explains how he pushed the Core i9-10900K to new limits.

How I Overclocked Core i9-10900K to 7-GHz and Set World Records : Read more

So, I bought a pre-built computer and I'm pretty sure my system is overclocked (my temperatures run high on idle and in games) and was wondering if you could make a tutorial on how to disable overclocking for this setup?

I also have an Nvidia 3080 TI not sure how to check if that has been overclocked as well.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, I bought a pre-built computer and I'm pretty sure my system is overclocked (my temperatures run high on idle and in games) and was wondering if you could make a tutorial on how to disable overclocking for this setup?

I also have an Nvidia 3080 TI not sure how to check if that has been overclocked as well.
You're commenting on an old news article, which not many people will see.

I don't have the expertise to answer your questions, but I'd suggest posting them here:

(if the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting it into the address bar of your browser.)

Reactions: SwankJohnson