How i solved my inexplicable lag in games.

steveo89

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi, I just thought I would share the story of how I fixed the mysterious lag that I was having In games shortly after I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit. I had a really annoying symptom where I would fire up an intensive game such as MW3 and it would play fine for around 5 - 10 min from a cold boot and then I would get lag where it almost seemed like the system was bottlenecking somehow. I should point out that never during these periods of lag did my frame rate ever dip below 30, yet it always felt like I was a second behind what was going on in the game. It turned out that after downloading and running hw cpuid I found that the temperature of my cpu cores were reaching their thermal limits! Some random shutdowns while playing MW3 had me convinced that this was somehow related to my change from 32bit XP to 64bit 7 but It might have been the case that switching to a more demanding OS in the form of 7 placed greater demand on my processor. Anyway, I popped open the case and blew all of that nasty dust off of my cpu heat sink and I now have load temps some 40 degrees C cooler than before! Best of all I have no more of that nasty lag! So if you are experiencing strange lag where the frame rate does not drop and haven't cleaned your case in awhile, I suggest you check it out.