Question How important is SK Hynix number in selecting DDR5

bill_phillips

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
Should I expect the the memory I've purchased to work and be acceptable for over-clocking the i9-13900K installed in the ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F?

I've purchased Team Group 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 7800 MHz memory model FF3D516G7800HC38DBK, SK Hynix CL38-48-48-84 1.4V because it is the only 7800 DDR5 memory from the the listed manufacturer I've been able to find. It also seems to do well in testing reviews.

The only 7800 MHz memory listed on the STRIX Z790-F is Team Group 2x16GB, FF3D532G7800HC36DDC01, SK Hynix 36-46-46-84 1.45V. I can't find this memory.

The big difference is the SK Hynix where the listed memory slightly out performs the memory I bought. Other than color, I don't know what the DC01 means on the listed memory. The memory I purchased is black.

Solution
You might have a hard time running 7800 no matter what, but that kit doesn't seem to have ever hit retail, at least not world wide. The timings are looser on the kit you got which should mean it's easier to run period.

bill_phillips

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
You might have a hard time running 7800 no matter what, but that kit doesn't seem to have ever hit retail, at least not world wide. The timings are looser on the kit you got which should mean it's easier to run period.
Thanks, very helpful, I think. Are you saying having higher latency (more clock cycles) in all categories improves stability (easier to run)?

bill_phillips

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
Yes, that's correct. Looser timings (more clock cycles) = greater stability.

If you can't get your memory to run at 7,800MT/s with the built-in XMP settings held in SPD, you may have to experiment with even looser manual timings. Good luck.
Thanks. You've clarified it for me.

I'm more interested in stability than over clocking. With PC performance, in this case as a DAW, there's never enough; but I can live with what I get as long as it is stable.

Thanks, very helpful, I think. Are you saying having higher latency (more clock cycles) in all categories improves stability (easier to run)?
Definitely, and it largely depends on the CPU memory controller where you'll end up. Buildzoid does quite extensive videos on his Actually Hardcore Overclocking YT channel and has said 7200 is the speed pretty much all 13th Gen CPUs can do and above that it's silicon lottery and/or time spent tweaking voltages and timings.

Reactions: bill_phillips

bill_phillips

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
Definitely, and it largely depends on the CPU memory controller where you'll end up. Buildzoid does quite extensive videos on his Actually Hardcore Overclocking YT channel and has said 7200 is the speed pretty much all 13th Gen CPUs can do and above that it's silicon lottery and/or time spent tweaking voltages and timings.
Good to know! Thanks.