[SOLVED] How is it possible to get different benchmark scores with the same pc but using different monitors (4k 43" vs 1080p 27" but selecting same res)

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
Hi all!

As the question says

I thought (possibly wrongly!) that screen size didn't matter with benchmark scores?

I understand (also possibly wrongly lol) that if you use different resolutions that this could affect the scores, but I gathered that if you selected the same resolution on the benchmark then this would be as if they were equal?

I tested my 8 year old Philips 27" 1080p 60hz monitor and my brand new Aorus FV43U 4K 144hz monitor using my new pc and got what I consider to be vastly different results!

I tested them both using Super Position with the 1080p Extreme setting, and with the 27" screen (using an old HDMI cable I already had and was using it for the last years) I was hitting 12874 points

I then turned the computer off, disconnected the monitor and leads, and then connected the 43" up and did the exact precise tests (with the same windows open, etc), and using either DPort 1.4, or a new HDMI 2.1 cable or my old HDMI cable from my old monitor and was getting between 12524 and 12577 points when switching the pc completely off between tests and following the same exact procedure!

That's a 300-350 point difference!

I then reconnected my 27" to test again, and it got 12784, so still over 200 points more than any of the 43" tests!

I also ran User Benchmark with the two different monitors and also all the cables and again, thee performance using the 27" monitor beat the 43" on almost every count!

Gaming 257/258% vs 252/253%

Desktop were both equal at 106%

Workstation 281% vs 275/277%

Ok, there isn't MUCH of a difference, but it's still consistent!

PC Specs

Asus TUF Gaming z490 plus Wifi
i9-10850K
Gigabyte 3080ti Gaming OC
32gb Corsair RAM 🐏
Corsair 850w gold+ psu

Any ideas?

Or am I being stupid, and this is normal (which I'll cry after typing all this if I am haha 😂)

Thanks!!

Solution
Thanks for the reply!

So, what is making the bench scores consistently different then if not the screen itself?

Im with Sizzling. Or possibly Windows handling 4k textures in the background on desktop that might influence results even if run benchmark app in 1080p. As above, did you run 4k monitor in 1080p to test?

Minuscule variance in benchmarks isn't all that odd since there's many variables to consider. Windows could be doing something, anything, tiny, small or big at any moment or chaning cpu power states depending what's going on. Restarts can have an effect too.

I'd suggest check fps in games if you're worried. I know you're not worried but if there is a difference between the displays, i bet there'd be only 1 fps...

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
You've had your fun :) but no, display does not matter as the computer does not know how the display is interpreting it's frames no matter the inch factor unless Vsync or Freesync/Gsync is involved to influence results.

Thanks for the reply!

So, what is making the bench scores consistently different then if not the screen itself?

How can I be getting around a 3% or so loss of performance (I know it's not huge lol) just by changing monitors, and it happening every time I change over (either gaining 3% when I use the 27", and then losing 3% when I change back to the 43"!) ?

For the tests I had the sync turned off as it restricts the fps I understand

This is really confusing me haha 😂

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply!

Im with Sizzling. Or possibly Windows handling 4k textures in the background on desktop that might influence results even if run benchmark app in 1080p. As above, did you run 4k monitor in 1080p to test?

Minuscule variance in benchmarks isn't all that odd since there's many variables to consider. Windows could be doing something, anything, tiny, small or big at any moment or chaning cpu power states depending what's going on. Restarts can have an effect too.

I'd suggest check fps in games if you're worried. I know you're not worried but if there is a difference between the displays, i bet there'd be only 1 fps difference and that's probable cause Sizzling is on about.

Solution

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
When testing on the 4K monitor was Windows desktop running at 4K or 1080p. I know you ran the benchmark at 1080p but was Windows display also set to 1080p or was it rendered in 1080p and upscaled and output at 4K?

And @boju

Ahhhh, this is probably it!

No, the 43" is set to display in 4k in the Nvidia settings!! So it sounds like it's that!

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this type of thing, and this was really confusing me, but it seems that I was forgetting a kind of obvious part now that you've mentioned it!

Well, as you say, it wasn't life changing having a 3% reduction in scores across the board from a couple of benchmarks, but I like to understand WHY things happen, and you've explained it for me!

I very much appreciate the input, so thank you both kindly!!

Reactions: boju