[SOLVED] How is my build?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 2, 2020
Here is the link to my build,

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GDxnmg

Goals:

I want low budget PC.
Will use for some coding, potentially some 3D modeling.
Should be able to max out most if not all 1080p games.
Originally intended for a CAN$600-700 PC, so if there are cheaper prices for same functionality and compatibility....

This is my first computer so any advice would really be appreciated.
Also, is my motherboard power connectors 24 pins like the
power supply? I couldn't find it in the specs...

Thank you!!

USAFRet

Titan
WOW! I didn't expect I would get this many comments in such a little time :D
Just wondering, though--SHOULD I buy a windows 10 key, or should I buy "normal" windows 10?
Thanks! :D
Just like your hardware, you should purchase a valid OS from a valid source.
Win 10 Home is generally about $100.

If you came across a site selling 16GB DDR4 new, for $10, you'd run away laughing. Knowing it was a scam.
Licensed software is no different.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
WOW! I didn't expect I would get this many comments in such a little time :D
Just wondering, though--SHOULD I buy a windows 10 key, or should I buy "normal" windows 10?
Thanks! :D
The point is if you want to save some money so you can put it into something else, then you can just leave Windows unactivated, there is no harm here, and then just activate it when you need to.

Many of the "cheap" keys are often obtained through illegal practice or illegitmately, even if the key itself is legitimate. But when you do, it is always recommended to buy directly from Microsoft.

PLEASE tell me
how I can still use this computer without windows :D)! Thanks :D
We're not saying DON'T get Windows, we're saying get it, install it, but just don't ACTIVATE it. Which is the bit that costs money. It will work normally otherwise except some lack of customisation. You need an OS to use a PC.

Reactions: pcbuilder900
Oct 2, 2020
As @cryoburner stated above, the 1050Ti is now redundant when you can pick up a 1650 alternative - which is both better and cheaper. Then and as others have stated, you also want to upgrade your PSU. If you're interested in the "lesser known" build mistakes that are often made, read this:

i would also just leave Windows unactivated for the time being, makes it free so that you can spend the money elsewhere, such as getting rid of the HDD and getting a 1TB SSD which you will not regret I promise! For example:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($183.50 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($174.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($70.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($137.99 @ PC-Canada)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Twin Fan Video Card ($223.64 @ Vuugo)
Case: Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($24.50 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($0.00)
Total: $965.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-03 18:33 EDT-0400

If you didn't upgrade to 10th gen anyway.
Thank you USAFRet and PC Tailor!!I will keep that in mind!
Just wondering, SHOULD I use the PSU, SSD, and GPU? As stated in the quote above? Because I am willing
to spend a bit more money for those parts, and (those please can you explain
a bit more) I am also willing to not buy Windows 10 (but again, PLEASE tell me
how I can still use this computer without windows :D)! Thanks :D

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
You can install Win 10 and leave it Unactivated. Until such time as you want to buy a valid license key.

It runs just fine, with a few small caveats.
No customization of the desktop or taskbar, and a sometimes appearing watermark at bottom right.
Other than that, it runs just fine.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you so much, again, USAFRet this info is HELPFUL!
Also, are these added parts (PCTailer suggested them while ago in the forums) a good addition to my build? Should I spend a bit more for these RAM SSD and GPU? Here's the link: PCPartPicker Part List... THANKS! :)
A PC in 2020 absolutely needs a solid state drive.
PSU you should never go cheap on.
GPU is all up to you.

Oct 2, 2020
OK, thanks!!!
EDIT: just wondering, the SSD doesn't look like a normal SSD to me (The kind that you slide into the 2.5 or 3.5 I forget inch drive slot)... sorry, I HAVE made a computer before, but just disassembling and reassembling a 2001 computer, so the parts were KINDA outa date :D

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
OK, thanks!!!
EDIT: just wondering, the SSD doesn't look like a normal SSD to me (The kind that you slide into the 2.5 or 3.5 I forget inch drive slot)... sorry, I HAVE made a computer before, but just disassembling and reassembling a 2001 computer, so the parts were KINDA outa date :D
It is an M.2 SSD. One which is compatible with the motherboard that was originally selected.
The installation of these is actually easier than standard, because they plug straight into a motherboard slot with no wires needed.

A standard 2.5" SSD you have to put into the mount, and connect the SATA power and SATA data cable. This you just put into a motherboard slot and screw down.

They are on paper, "technically" faster too. But work by all accounts in the same way.

USAFRet

Titan
EDIT: is there a way for me to download windows other than the Optical Drive?? A CHEAPER way?? :D
The Win 10 install is FREE. Create either DVD or USB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The part that costs money is a valid license.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
It depends on whose advice you want to take. As I said - I've never had a problem. With Windows or Office keys, froma few different vendors. Paul's Hardware recommended Kinguin I think.
These places buy product keys in bulk from Microsoft.

USAFRet

Titan
It depends on whose advice you want to take. As IO said - I've never had a problem. With Windows or Office keys, froma few different vendors. Paul's Hardware recommended Kinguin I think.

Pauls Hardware gets paid to promote that.
People will say a lot of things if you pay them.

CZZMerc.jpg

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I'm not as cynical. I've had good experiences. It's not just Kinguin out there. A google search will find heaps. I look at reviews on the website before I buy anything. And so far I haven't had a problem.
I think MS is asking far too much for W10 and old Office keys.

Oct 2, 2020
The Win 10 install is FREE. Create either DVD or USB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The part that costs money is a valid license.
Do you mean download windows onto a USB from this computer, then install it on the other computer??
Also, just one other question: does the mobo that I chose have built-in wifi?!?

Oct 2, 2020
From any working Windows system, you download the MediaCreation tool and use that to create your USB to install with.
You'll need a blank flash drive of 8GB or larger. Any data that may already reside on this flash drive WILL be deleted.

Links and steps above.

No, your selected motherboard does not have WiFi.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z390-A-PRO/Specification
Is there a way I can get wifi on my mobo WITHOUT getting a different mobo?
Maybe something like a wifi card? Does that still exist??

Oct 2, 2020
Thanks so much! Could you please suggest one, because (facepalm I just now
remember doing some research on this :)) when I looked I saw lots of reviews
saying that the USBs didn't work for too long...? Thanks so much USAFRet! :D