Question How is this cpu outdated?

oliver.kausland

Commendable
Sep 15, 2018
Hi,
I saw the specs on the amd fx 8350 and I thought it looked good but people say its outdated.
But how is it when it has a high clock speed and 8 cores?
Is it because of the nm and cache?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Because of it's OLDER design , some modern Dual Cores will out perform it many tasks.

The problem with the FX CPUs is that it is a modular design. Every two physical CPUs shares a single FPU (Floating Point Unit). If both CPUs must use the FPU in each module, then one core basically needs to wait and do nothing until the other core is done using the FPU. Therefore, the FPU itself is a performance bottleneck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bignastyid
It does indeed have Very high clocks. In fact its clocks and core count make it seem comparable to an i7, but it is an older architecture that draws a lot of power, has stutter issues in games, and the chip has a low IPC. The low IPC means its clocks perform effectively much lower than they actually are.

There is more to CPU's than core count and clock speed.

One big factor is IPC, Instructions Per Clock, so while the FX8320 might cycle quicker than a new CPU, the new CPU computes more instructions per cycle.

Also the FX chip isn't REALLY an 8 core, i believe it has 8 computational cores, but they are paired up and each pair of cores has to share other components in the CPU. (There are articles explaining this much better than I can)