[SOLVED] How is your experience with i3 10100/F

Looking to buy one,ill try to get i5 10400F if it comes down to 180$ in my country,but i want to know how big of a difference it was from your old cpu to the i3 10100.
This thread isnt aimed directly to the users of the i3 10100,so feel free to post your opinions about it even if you dont own one : )
Also,is it worth waiting for 11th gen i3?
I have no knowledge about it so if someone would kindly educate me about it,i would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
I was planning to buy the cpu around june,that will be 3-4 after the 11th gen launch,so the prices of old gen should launch,right?
What will the price be like for 11th gen?
Is it going to be similarly priced to the 10th gen?
Usually intel doesn't change prices between gens, stores do charge a bit more during launch so at june prices should be normal, and the same, for both 10th and 11th gen, the only difference is that 11th gen will have better performance and could have more cores/threads for the same model.
I have been contemplating buying either the 10100 or 10400 for an office build. I think they offer exceptional price to performance, on paper. I have a hard $400 limit for mine so mostly have been awaiting a good motherboard selection to price.
I know that currently there is minimal performance difference in gaming between the two,but i think that 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads are going to be more useful in the future,and i dont want to regret not paying 70$ more for the i5 10400.
Thoughts?

I don't own one, but the price to performance the i3 10100f offers is very hard to beat. It will offer acceptable performance for most workloads, and very good performance in tasks like gaming.

4 Cores 8 threads is fine for most games, but it should be mentioned that the extra cores of the 10400f will help it for some games that use a lot of cores, and will probably help it in the future.

I don't think you will regret it to be honest.

Reactions: Dj0gany
I don't own one, but the price to performance the i3 10100f offers is very hard to beat. It will offer acceptable performance for most workloads, and very good performance in tasks like gaming.

4 Cores 8 threads is fine for most games, but it should be mentioned that the extra cores of the 10400f will help it for some games that use a lot of cores, and will probably help it in the future.

I don't think you will regret it to be honest.
Thank you,i dont want regret something i saved up so much on.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know that currently there is minimal performance difference in gaming between the two,but i think that 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads are going to be more useful in the future,and i dont want to regret not paying 70$ more for the i5 10400.
Thoughts?

I can pick up the 10100 for $99 locally, and the 10400 for $149. Amazon has them for a $15 and $10 premium for delivery. The (f) is cheaper, but won't need it for the office. I am of the preference to do the 6 core just to help with workload and make it a bit more future proof. Where I see the i3 variant as a great value, I feel like the high core counts that are becoming common are soon going to be more utilized in the work space.

I can pick up the 10100 for $99 locally, and the 10400 for $149. Amazon has them for a $15 and $10 premium for delivery. The (f) is cheaper, but won't need it for the office. I am of the preference to do the 6 core just to help with workload and make it a bit more future proof. Where I see the i3 variant as a great value, I feel like the high core counts that are becoming common are soon going to be more utilized in the work space.
So since i wont be doing much work,besides gaming and school work,the i3 would be your final choice?

As only a 65W TDP CPU, I'd expect that processor to spend much of it's time at it's base clock, likely making it slower than the 6700K of several years ago...

(Possibly on a Z-series board, the power/duration turbo limits can be removed allowing it to approximate the non-k 6700's performance...from 5 years ago)

Get a 10600?

So,i3 10100 over the i5 10400 just for gaming?
We are talking about atleast 5 years of usage here.
Mainly for gaming,i dont see myself using it for anything else besides gaming/browsing/school/other light tasks.
For 5 years usage definitely the 10400. Just look at the last 5 years. 5 years ago a 4 core 4 thread cpu could be a top level performer for gaming. Today 4c/4t is not enough for some AAA games to run smoothly, the minimum is 4c/8t. I really think the extra 2c & 4t of the 10400 are essential if you want any chance of getting 5 years from the cpu and still being able to play the latest games.

For 5 years usage definitely the 10400. Just look at the last 5 years. 5 years ago a 4 core 4 thread cpu could be a top level performer for gaming. Today 4c/4t is not enough for some AAA games to run smoothly, the minimum is 4c/8t. I really think the extra 2c & 4t of the 10400 are essential if you want any chance of getting 5 years from the cpu and still being able to play the latest games.
Thank you,i will aim for the 10400f then

Last edited:
I was planning to buy the cpu around june,that will be 3-4 after the 11th gen launch,so the prices of old gen should launch,right?
What will the price be like for 11th gen?
Is it going to be similarly priced to the 10th gen?
Usually intel doesn't change prices between gens, stores do charge a bit more during launch so at june prices should be normal, and the same, for both 10th and 11th gen, the only difference is that 11th gen will have better performance and could have more cores/threads for the same model.

Solution
Thanks,i will see what the market offers by then.
If the 10400f,drops to 180$ from 220$ (current price in my country) should i emediately buy it?
I currently have 170$ in savings,i will get 100-150$ in june when the school year is over.

Thanks,i will see what the market offers by then.
If the 10400f,drops to 180$ from 220$ (current price in my country) should i emediately buy it?
I currently have 170$ in savings,i will get 100-150$ in june when the school year is over.
No buy everything at the same time, what if the CPU drops in price but the mobos for it increase, or what if the 11th gen is a much better deal?