Mar 19, 2020
Though online research takings words of random forum users, I discovered

CPU lasts 20-30 years
Hard Drive lasts 4-5 years
Ram 100 years
CPU lasts 20-30 years
Motherboard 10-20 years
Power supply 5-10 years

So it seems if a computer gets old and stop working, as long as you switch hard drive, motherboard and PCU, your computer should just keep going? How to figure out which part is responsible if your computer starts becoming slow?

Last edited:
Solution
Like cell phones have plans, and cars have leases where you always get to have the latest product in your hand at no additional cost, is there a computer membership where your computer always has the latest parts free of charge? I know microsoft launched this for softwares. Google Stadia could also be considered a step in that direction....

Or, unlike car or video games which constantly leave the user unsatisfied, do you think computers are generally fast enough that updates won't necessarily provide a significant difference to the user experience since unlike cars and cell phone, computers aren't on an annual update process, but they come out with a new breakthrough in a technology.
No.
And that doesn't work for phones or...

USAFRet

Titan
Last, as in functioning,
Or
Last, as in can do the things you want it to do.

A 20 year old CPU will 1) not run current software, 2) not be compatible with a new drive, 3) not be compatible with a new motherboard.
Now...if you simply swap in "new" parts but period specific...then you simply have a 20 year old PC that turns on.
Something from 2001 will be disturbingly slow trying to run software from 2020. If it runs it at all.

Those numbers are guesses at best, and not even close if I had to guess as well.
There is no definite lifespan for components, they are all prone to random failure one way or another.
As for those numbers specifically, the HDD number is strikingly low, HDDs last far longer than that on average.
100 years on RAM? Says who? RAM has only been around since 1968 anyway.

Looking at lifespans like that is pointless, your hardware is either going to suffer random failure, or become outdated. Thats it.
In most cases, your hardware will become unable to run current application/workloads before its age becomes an issue.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a couple of laptops from 1996-98 or so. Dell, Sony, Fujitsu.
I'm sure if I got them off the shelf in teh garage and powered them up, they'd still run.
Win 2000, maybe Win98SE.

And then do what with it?
256-512MB RAM and a 2GB HDD isn't going to go far.

USAFRet

Titan

sxk1277

Great
Mar 19, 2020
Yes but AMD obviously lacks quality. There is no way they are technologically more ahead than intel. Even in 2023, that will be a 10 year gap as opposed to former 2 year. Things are slowing down to a possible asymptote.

sxk1277

Great
Mar 19, 2020
My pc is 5 years old and I just bought a new GPU for it and now I'm buying a new power supply. I was just wondering if I really should be investing money like this into an old built.

sxk1277

Great
Mar 19, 2020
I figure maybe you could see how well the processor is functioning compared to how well it is supposed to be. Whether it needs to be retuned with thermal paste...

USAFRet

Titan
I figure maybe you could see how well the processor is functioning compared to how well it is supposed to be. Whether it needs to be retuned with thermal paste...
You don't "retune" with paste.
You clean and replace if needed.

That requires a bit of investigation.
Full parts list.
Level of dust.
What are the actual temperatures, idle and under full load.

But the CPU does not "wear out" to any real extent.

As far as "functioning"...benchmarks.
Passmark, Heaven (GPU), memtest86...
(NOT 'userbenchmark.com')

sxk1277

Great
Mar 19, 2020
I guess the new gpu and power supply can always go to use to a future custom build if this fails or buy another cheap used pc.

Is the process of cleaning and reapplying thermal paste something a noob can handle? Do I've to manually find out those temperatures for cpu or a software will automatically put my pc under idle state and full load and give me full data?

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Yes but AMD obviously lacks quality. There is no way they are technologically more ahead than intel. Even in 2023, that will be a 10 year gap as opposed to former 2 year. Things are slowing down to a possible asymptote.
How so? TSMC 7nm is the densest process in an x86 CPU currently, and performs better than Intel 10nm. The only reason that Intel is able to get to its high clock speeds is that 14nm has seen many, many optimizations to its performance. Power consumption is terrible compared to 7nm. All things considered, AMD as the process lead at the moment and Intel admits that that will be until at least 2022.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. You're talking about single percentage point differences
  2. Now....cross reference that hierarchy with price
  3. It seems we've gone back and forth from the Law of thermodynamics, to investigating what may or may not be wrong with your personal system, to marketing and reviews.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
I thought this was purely about process node, not about architecture. Even then, AMD has better IPC (than CFL-R), better scaling and better efficiency. Intel leads in single-core clock speed (at the expense of efficiency) and memory latency, which are the two reasons why Intel is generally ahead in games at the high end. AMD's CPUs are also significantly cheaper to produce, which directly relates to Moore's law.

The first source you're citing does not include Zen 2 CPUs. Zen+ was definitely behind Intel technologically speaking.