[SOLVED] How long does it take to reinstall windows 10 via 32gb usb

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
So im getting a new ssd disk after i noticed that probably 80% of all the problems i had with my laptop were because of my SSHD on novabench THE worst disk score is 17 yet i got 13 and all the stuff in my laptop loads super slow even tho i have i7 7700HQ + 1050Ti + 2 fans + 8gb ram and i wanted to know how long does it take to reinstall windows 10 via a 32gb usb and yes i did google this but some people said that it depends on hardware and internet speed so i want to know how long will it take with my specs and 4 - 6 MBs download speed to reinstall windows 10 and also is it really faster the bigger the usb is?

Solution
Are you talking creating a bootable Win10 setup usb? I don't think I can give you a definite number, but on average it takes 30 min to 1h to download the setup file. You can speed this up by plugging the USB into a USB 3.0 slot (installation may be faster too). Typically (on a real computer) installing Windows does not take very long on a USB 3.0 (approximately 20 min). A bigger USB tends to be more modern and faster. Source: https://superuser.com/questions/21486/does-storage-capacity-affect-hard-drive-performance
Nov 12, 2019
Are you talking creating a bootable Win10 setup usb? I don't think I can give you a definite number, but on average it takes 30 min to 1h to download the setup file. You can speed this up by plugging the USB into a USB 3.0 slot (installation may be faster too). Typically (on a real computer) installing Windows does not take very long on a USB 3.0 (approximately 20 min). A bigger USB tends to be more modern and faster. Source: https://superuser.com/questions/21486/does-storage-capacity-affect-hard-drive-performance

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
So im getting a new ssd disk after i noticed that probably 80% of all the problems i had with my laptop were because of my SSHD on novabench THE worst disk score is 17 yet i got 13 and all the stuff in my laptop loads super slow even tho i have i7 7700HQ + 1050Ti + 2 fans + 8gb ram and i wanted to know how long does it take to reinstall windows 10 via a 32gb usb and yes i did google this but some people said that it depends on hardware and internet speed so i want to know how long will it take with my specs and 4 - 6 MBs download speed to reinstall windows 10 and also is it really faster the bigger the usb is?
It is not faster with a larger USB flash drive. 8GB or larger...all about the same.

If you have previously downloaded windows 10 install media to a usb drive, the process does not take long.
I might guess 30minutes to an hour.
You will also need to find the drivers for your particular laptop keyboard.

May I offer a simpler solution?
Buy a samsung ssd that is compatible with your laptop and is large enough to hold the used contents of your HDD plus some.
Use the samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive to the new ssd. Then exchange the new ssd for the old HDD.
Here is a link to the app and instructions:

You will likely need a usb to ssd adapter cable to do the copy.
How long it takes is determined by how much you have on the HDD, and what kind of usb capability you have.

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
If you have previously downloaded windows 10 install media to a usb drive, the process does not take long.
I might guess 30minutes to an hour.
You will also need to find the drivers for your particular laptop keyboard.

May I offer a simpler solution?
Buy a samsung ssd that is compatible with your laptop and is large enough to hold the used contents of your HDD plus some.
Use the samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive to the new ssd. Then exchange the new ssd for the old HDD.
Here is a link to the app and instructions:

You will likely need a usb to ssd adapter cable to do the copy.
How long it takes is determined by how much you have on the HDD, and what kind of usb capability you have.

what do you mean i need to find a driver for my laptop keyboard like if i dont and just use a boot usb i wont be able to use my keyboard or something?

Laptop keyboards are a bit unique.
Among other things, they have touchpads or red buttons for cursor movement.
The function of keys will be unique to the laptop. Increasing/decreasing screen brightness, for example.
The driver for them will be unique to the laptop.
Windows will have a generic stock driver but all of the keyboard functions may not work.

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Laptop keyboards are a bit unique.
Among other things, they have touchpads or red buttons for cursor movement.
The function of keys will be unique to the laptop. Increasing/decreasing screen brightness, for example.
The driver for them will be unique to the laptop.
Windows will have a generic stock driver but all of the keyboard functions may not work.

Oh so you mean i should get a keyboard driver after i reinstall windows? If yes i do have all drivers on 1 website ready to install so im good.