How long does Startup Repair take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badwolfdc

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hello, I have a week old laptop, that for whatever reason decided to run Startup Repair (Win 7) I have not been able to "get in" and check what the problem is....Startup Repair is just about to hit 48 hrs running...It seems to be doing its job, as far as I can tell....but does anybody know how long this process takes? Should I be contacting Guiness Records :)
Also when it is complete, and hopefully the problems fixed, is this something that warrants a return to Staples?

Solution
try pressing f8 during boot and use last known good configuration option

if that doesnt work you could go back to staples--though some of these companies give you the its a software

problem rubbish so its not covered by the warranty--and try to charge you to repair it

if you take it back i hope theres no incriminating or embarrassing photos on there :D --as they just love to take a

quick look through the documents folders

48 Hours ? It might appear it is doing something, but IMO it is not.
One week old ? - I'd return it.

try pressing f8 during boot and use last known good configuration option

if that doesnt work you could go back to staples--though some of these companies give you the its a software

problem rubbish so its not covered by the warranty--and try to charge you to repair it

if you take it back i hope theres no incriminating or embarrassing photos on there :D --as they just love to take a

quick look through the documents folders

Solution

Badwolfdc

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks to everyone ....I have now identified the problem as hardware (failing HDD) So this ended not being a Windows problem. I have to say that through this problem, I have learned an enormous amount - thanks to this and the Microsoft blog. Thanks to everyone....you are providing an incredible service by sharing your knowledge.

Badwolfdc

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

mcnumpty23...I have identified this as a hardware problem - my HDD was/has failed. I actually spoke to HP - much better response than Staples. They are providing a new drive :) (BTW I used Bios Memory and HDD test to identify the problem - HDD came back with 303 error)

Funny - no incriminating pics, but I guess if they really want to they could "grab" web urls and there passwords....maybe I should "nuke" the drive.

Thanks for your assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS