How long until idle temp reached?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i am beginning my overclocking ventures and was wondering how long i shoudl wait to obtain a nice average idle temperature. also, what kind of stability testing should i do at each clock increase?

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

lbianch

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I don't think your idle temperature matters (although about 30 minutes completley idle should do it), I think you should be more concerned about:

Stability
Heavy Load Temperature

Stability can be done with some benchmarks, or playing Quake 3 until it crashes and then play it at normal clock speed until it crashes and see the difference.
Heavy load temperature can be taken immediatley after playing quake 3, or when you are encoding a dozen WAV files to MP3 (I know that when I play Quake 3 I get 41C, when I encode 13 WAV files to MP3 I get 46C. I think encoding is more CPU-intensive, since the invention of the 3d Accelerator).

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Will letting a demo or something like the Unreal Tournament opening scene do anything for me? Or is it all cached into video card?
As for playing a game, I was thinking Half Life because that is one of the most CPU intensive games out there whereas Quake3 draws a lot from your GPU.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well im running my 800 Tbird at 850 now, ill wait a little and check the temp. This is the most fun testing I have ever done since I overclocked my Voodoo3 (play games and check temp) :smile: