Question How long will the Evga N1 500 last. I am worried that it would fry the motherboard.

Jan 1, 2023
I found a gaming pc on facebook marketplace with these specs. (Ryzen 5 3600, RX 590, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
I am worried that the psu will damage the components. Is the psu really as bad as people say. I am wondering if i can use this pc as is without it being dangerous or upgrading to a 550 watt psu, like a thermaltake smart bm2 550w.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Those EVGA white aren't awesome units. I am not sure I would consider the "Smart" much of an upgrade, but I have used those in office type builds with no issue. The RX 590 is suggested to be with a 450+ W (quality) PSU. According to pricing it could be worthwhile.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's more likely to fry the GPU than the motherboard. Fires are a worst case scenario. It's as junky a PSU as has ever been sold by a major label; it's as terrible as some of the most horrid Cooler Master or Thermaltake offerings over the years.

The Thermaltake BM2 is better, but not what I would call a good PSU. Yes, the RX 590 is an older card now, but it's going to put a lot of strain on poor quality PSUs. That's kind of the problem with old, high-power GPUs; the cost of an appropriate PSU is very high relative to the worth of the GPU. It's a bit like the Old German Car Problem; you can buy a 20-year-old Audi that went for $100,000 for $5,000, but it's still going to have repair costs like a $100,000 car.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, Facebook Marketplace is a hard no for any kind of used PC equipment. You have zero practical recourse if the parts come damaged or not as advertised. Given this GPU is apparently powered by that horror show of a PSU, I'd run away.

Jan 1, 2023
I will be mostly gaming on this pc and watching yt videos. Searching the web. The seller is asking for 530 dollars. My budget is around 600 dollars. Although i did think of building a pc with a i3 12100f and rx 6600 or switch the cpu with a ryzen 5 5500, i also found this one which was at a pretty good price.

Jan 1, 2023
The pc is local and the seller has built and sold a few other pcs on his profile. I might ask to see him run the pc. It does include a benchmark in the listing.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will be mostly gaming on this pc and watching yt videos. Searching the web. The seller is asking for 530 dollars. My budget is around 600 dollars. Although i did think of building a pc with a i3 12100f and rx 6600 or switch the cpu with a ryzen 5 5500, i also found this one which was at a pretty good price.

I personally feel like this would be the way to go. For the budget, it is going to be close, and you may have to utilize a couple of used parts or keep it as an open build for a moment to round it out till you can gather more funds. The FB build isn't terrible, but a few things throw flags IMO. You mention an SSD, supposing this is instead of an M.2. The RX 590 is an aging card at best. We have already mentioned the PSU and being junk. You don't mention a motherboard.

I don't know how long it takes you to build up some cash but think if it were my build (at current budget), I would be looking at something like 12th gen i5 for the six cores, an inexpensive motherboard, M.2 storage, 16 GB of RAM, and a nice PSU as initial purchase. Then would stuff some pennies back while watching out for a nice deal on a 66/6700 level GPU, perhaps even XT a little later.