How long will the i5 8400 last for in gaming?

rexis_1

Prominent
May 13, 2017
I just bought an i5 8400, waiting for it to be delivered.
How long will it last gaming-wise? Will it be good enough for the next 3 years?

Solution
Will it? I know after a couple years with the 970 FTW GFX card I certainly had the upgrade itch because of having to pull back on more and more in game settings. I satisfied that with a 1080 Ti. My 4690K however was released about 4 years ago and only in a small percentage of games does it get toasted er maxed out at 90-100% load at 1440p with a 1080 Ti as its co-pilot. CPU's generally have a longer life expectancy over GFX cards. If I were in the market for a CPU right now the 8600K would be my choice. A cake and eat it too CPU solution.

That CPU only surpasses my 4690K by about 15% overall. I'd opt for the 8600K.
You ask a difficult question to answer.

I think it would be safe to say, that in general it would be good for gaming for the next 3 years. But keep in mind things change and nobody really knows for sure what will happen with games or their requirements.

I would say it depends on what GPU you have paired with it and what resolution and refresh rate you were using.

rexis_1

Prominent
May 13, 2017

Its going to be paired up with a GTX 1080.

As mentioned earlier, the particular game will depend as well as the resoultion and desired framerate/refresh rate. Games today are likely good even at 1080p with no CPU limitation. But games next year or the year after might present a slight CPU limitation. That's just something we don't know.

Either way, you can be satsified with the performance. Or you can upgrade to an i7-8700K.

Will it? I know after a couple years with the 970 FTW GFX card I certainly had the upgrade itch because of having to pull back on more and more in game settings. I satisfied that with a 1080 Ti. My 4690K however was released about 4 years ago and only in a small percentage of games does it get toasted er maxed out at 90-100% load at 1440p with a 1080 Ti as its co-pilot. CPU's generally have a longer life expectancy over GFX cards. If I were in the market for a CPU right now the 8600K would be my choice. A cake and eat it too CPU solution.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Mostly depends on your gaming. If you are one of those ppl who must jump in on the latest and greatest games, you'll definitely need to upgrade the gpu more frequently. As I'm just the opposite, I'm still enjoying games that are 5 years old, there's no rush or really any need to upgrade from a gtx970 on my 1080p/60Hz monitors. My 3770k never sees over 55% usage on anything, so that's good too.