How Long Will This Be Relevent?

Solution
My wife's pc is a i5-3570k with a gtx660ti. That's still going to be good enough for the next 5 years, even though it's already 4 years old. How long will it last is a very almalgamous question. The answer is only something that's defined as being relevant to you, Op. For all we know, you might play the same few games for the next 5 years, never really getting into anything new and cutting edge. In which case the pc is good for at least the next 5 years, as long as the parts hold up. You might decide it's definitely time to go with OC in 3 years, in which case the Z170 board will be useless since Intel will have released a new cpu that's not lga1151 by then. It might be that you are the kind of person who likes cutting edge gaming at...
D

Deleted member 217926

You mean we shouldn't point out that it's useless to use aftermarket cooling on a locked CPU and how that cooler is a waste of money? Or how using a Z170 motherboard with a locked CPU is also a waste of money?

Other than that looks fine for 1080p gaming. If you wanted an i7 6700 ( non K ) you should have gone with a much cheaper ( B150, H170 etc. ) motherboard and used the stock CPU cooler and spent all the money you saved on a GTX 1080. Then you'd have a solid 1440p system instead of a relatively weak 1080p system. Gaming is much more dependent on the graphics card than anything else.

I also have to point out the power supply is terrible quality and you realistically need a 450w -550w power supply not 1000+ watts. If you plan on getting a flagship card ( 1080 Ti ) then 650 watts makes sense. Any more than that is the realm of multiple flagship level cards in Sli/Crossfire.

Its not crap but some if it makes no sense , all that money on rgb fans, the boards too expensive , a locked i7??

You can do an unlocked i7 & a gtx 1070 for a lot less money!!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($429.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 EX 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($232.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Avexir Blitz1.1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($122.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.83 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card ($507.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: NZXT Manta Mini ITX Desktop Case ($169.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA B3 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($114.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1840.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 13:24 EDT-0400

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

i currently have an i7 6700 but i will upgrade to an unlocked in the future

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

im upgrading to a 7th gen i7 in the future i already have an i7 6700 it was a gift from my birthday and i have a 1200 psu in my closet. thats why

g-unit1111

Titan

It will last a while sure. I was just curious as to why you are going with the small form factor as opposed to a standard ATX desktop or even a mATX one. And the reason why is often times your long term upgrade options are more limited when you go with the small form factor - especially for new platforms that may come. Intel's enthusiast platform generally does not favor small form factors, and new AMD platforms usually don't favor small form factors either.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My wife's pc is a i5-3570k with a gtx660ti. That's still going to be good enough for the next 5 years, even though it's already 4 years old. How long will it last is a very almalgamous question. The answer is only something that's defined as being relevant to you, Op. For all we know, you might play the same few games for the next 5 years, never really getting into anything new and cutting edge. In which case the pc is good for at least the next 5 years, as long as the parts hold up. You might decide it's definitely time to go with OC in 3 years, in which case the Z170 board will be useless since Intel will have released a new cpu that's not lga1151 by then. It might be that you are the kind of person who likes cutting edge gaming at maximum with a 4k monitor, in which case your build was obsolete yesterday.

Unless your tastes change, that build will easily last 5 years. How relevant it will be in 5 years time is impossible to predict.

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Hoppin : "Is This A Good Build?"

you forgot something i somehow think.....

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

?