[SOLVED] How long will this build "last" for gaming?

Furzumz

Reputable
"Last" as in will this at least let me run games semi-decently for the next 2 or 3 years hopefully? I get you'd need a magical crystal ball for such a prediction but I'm just looking for a rough assumption

I was getting tired of having to upgrade every year and a half with budget parts for gaming so I saved up and went with the following (please go easy on me, I made the mistake of not asking here first before buying these a month ago)

ryzen 9 3900x
2070 super 8GB
DDR4 16GB 2666mhz ram (from a older build but seems to get the job done)
B350M PRO-VDH motherboard (same as above)
750w power supply
Monitor resolution is 1680 x 1050 so I'm not doing anything crazy like 10k gaming

Solution
3900X + B350M PRO-VDH motherboard
A)https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview#
Looks like it's fine if you stick to an air cooler.

B)As for the futureproof thing: I don't believe in it, so I'm staying out of that part. Can't give a 'rough estimation'; that's still going to be a guess based on past and current events.
I'd trust advice from a terminator or someone with a TARDIS, though.

C)A 2070 Super at that resolution?
:hebe:
Well, as long as you're happy with it...

D)At that res, you're also more cpu bound in games. The memory speed matters more with higher end gpus as well - but since you're on a lower res - about 18% fewer pixels than standard 1080p - to begin with...
evrything is fine, but u do need to look at motherboard, now i dont know how capable that motherboard is but i dont think it can handle the power to run 3900x at full potential... And also u didnt name ur PSU model...
Leaving that its quite a nice build...

Reactions: Furzumz

Furzumz

Reputable
Ram must be 3200MHz at a minimum, you are losing performance at 2666.

Personally, I would not run a 3900x on a B350.

All that juicy pc power and an old monitor?

Is it unsafe to run a 3900x on a b350?

As far as the monitor goes...that was a after thought until it was too late

As you guys can see I'm not the brightiest and didn't think things through :sweatsmile:

evrything is fine, but u do need to look at motherboard, now i dont know how capable that motherboard is but i dont think it can handle the power to run 3900x at full potential... And also u didnt name ur PSU model...
Leaving that its quite a nice build...

AG-750M (which I'm looking to replace ASAP) and I'll save you guys the trouble of looking it up by telling ya now its not good from what I've been told. A "trash tier but at least not on fire flaming garbage can trash tier" power supply as someone aptly put it.

Many mistakes were made when putting this all together but that's part of the reason why I'm here asking this so I can try to learn from my bad mistakes

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
3900X + B350M PRO-VDH motherboard
A)https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview#
Looks like it's fine if you stick to an air cooler.

B)As for the futureproof thing: I don't believe in it, so I'm staying out of that part. Can't give a 'rough estimation'; that's still going to be a guess based on past and current events.

D)At that res, you're also more cpu bound in games. The memory speed matters more with higher end gpus as well - but since you're on a lower res - about 18% fewer pixels than standard 1080p - to begin with, a bump to 3200-3600mhz probably won't do all that much.

Solution

Furzumz

Reputable

I was using this but I'm gonna be getting a NH-D14 if you think that'll be enough

I wanted to go with a nh-d15 but I think the clearance is a bit too much for my antec 300 case

Fair enough

Does Newegg sell any T-800's? Or could I pick up one of those Amazon basics John Connors to lure one from the future?

Even better, the monitor is from 2008 and my second 'monitor' is a cheap 26 inch Sharp tv. My standards are pretty low as I was gaming on this for roughly 12 years from I think it was 2004 to 2016-ish. Went through literally 5 geforce 6200's on that computer haha

As long as my computer isn't going to burst into flames I can live with the buying mistakes at the end of the day

D)At that res, you're also more cpu bound in games. The memory speed matters more with higher end gpus as well - but since you're on a lower res - about 18% fewer pixels than standard 1080p - to begin with, a bump to 3200-3600mhz probably won't do all that much.

If I buy a better monitor should I shoot for some better ram?

When I originally got this ram I have now it was during some weird ram shortage due to the demand being so high. 8GB of ddr4 was $100, it was wild. I went with some lower mhz ram at the time due to the price

Also wanted to say thanks everyone for the responses and help, I appreciate all of ya

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I was using this but I'm gonna be getting a NH-D14 if you think that'll be enough

I wanted to go with a nh-d15 but I think the clearance is a bit too much for my antec 300 case
If Noctua really is the only option... NH-D15(also 160mm) or NH-U12A(158mm)
If available, there's also:
Thermalright Macho Rev. C(158mm), Le Grand Macho RT(159mm), Silver Arrow T8(158mm)
Scythe FUMA 2(154.5mm)
Silentium PC Fortis 3(158mm)

Fair enough

Does Newegg sell any T-800's? Or could I pick up one of those Amazon basics John Connors to lure one from the future?
:kikou:

If I buy a better monitor should I shoot for some better ram?
IF you go that far, you may as well...

Furzumz

Reputable
If Noctua really is the only option... NH-D15(also 160mm) or NH-U12A(158mm)
If available, there's also:
Thermalright Macho Rev. C(158mm), Le Grand Macho RT(159mm), Silver Arrow T8(158mm)
Scythe FUMA 2(154.5mm)
Silentium PC Fortis 3(158mm)

:kikou:

IF you go that far, you may as well...

Thanks for the suggestions

I was looking at noctua a lot due to their extensive clearance information for motherboards and ram and I heard some good things about the cooling performance

That and there's no official information I can find for clearance on my case but someone managed to fit a d14 in there at least so I know it'll fit for sure

Is the d14 not up to the task compared to the others? I don't mind spending the extra $20-30 something dollarydoos for the peace of mind of knowing it would fit (if it would work for a 3900x)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Furzumz
The D14 is fine, but it is an older model, and all of their models' packages distributed before 2019 don't have the NM-AM4 mounting kit included, so if the one you get doesn't have the kit, you'll have to contact Noctua CS and they'll send one to you - they'll request proof of purchase.