How mamy fans do I need?

Sep 10, 2018
I need to know please.

My case is pretty good, nice airflow.

I got a 1050 2gb GPU (it has double fans) so as you can see it's an entry level one. My CPU is AMD Ryzen 2600 and it comes with a stock cooler which according to many reviews is good enough (while intel's usually are worse I think).

So basically there are two fans:

- Pre applied case fan
- CPU fan.

So questions:

1. Do I need more?

2. How can I know if my system overheats etc? What temperatures indicate that a CPU/GPU is 'dying' due to bad airflow etc? What's the recommended temperature for a CPU/GPU when 1. is doing simple tasks e.g browsing the interner, watching videos on youtube 2. playing video games.

Could someone please answer to those questions if possible? Cheers and thanks a lot in advance.

adamscurr

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2013
I remember a video I watched a while ago that tested how few fans you could have until it was detrimental to the pc... In the video even with one fan on the rear of the case, the temps improved... However, a few more did make a lot of a difference...

I think you could apply the same logic to your setup. For a few bucks you could put an intake fan in the lower front and good outgoing fan on the top/back and really help your situation...

As for the Ryzen fan, I've heard they are decent. If you wanted to do any overclocking though, you would probably want something better... Though that doesn't sound like what you are into...

Adam

What is your case?

So long as your case comes with decent front air intake, you are good.
I consider two 120 mm intakes as decent/good. One might be ok.

Your gtx1050 is very low power and does not add much to your heat.

I find that if a cpu cooler is mounted well, it should give 10-15c. over ambient at idle.

The ryzen cooler is decent for the job it is intended to do.
FWIW, the stock intel cooler does the job too.

Processors will slow down or shut off if they detect dangerous temperatures. That is 100c for intel and somewhat less for ryzen.
Stress testing might get to 85c while normal operation might be as much as 75c.

On the graphics card, they seem to target 80c and perform as well as they can within that limit.

If you find that things get too hot, take the case covers off until you can fix it.
I imagine a second front fan will do the job.
If a second fan is not an option, there are high rpm fans that will move more air(at the cost of more noise)
Whatever air comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.