How many 6-pin connectors does a GTX 460 need?

Tubristus

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Recently, a friend of mine upgraded his graphics card from a GTX 460, and knowing that I too was considering a new rig, kindly gave me his used card. At the time, I didn't know it was a 460 - but looking up the model number 'P1041' gave me the specifications. So, while I was checking my build for any potential problems, I came across several threads regarding how many 6-pin connectors this particular card has - most of the threads say that for the card to work properly, two connectors are needed. However, the card that I have only has one.

I'm not sure why - I was told that it originally came with an Alienware pre-built rig, so I'm thinking that that might be it. However, I am slightly worried that this throws my build out of balance - I need the savings on not buying a graphics card to sufficiently splash out on everything else.

Any advice that anyone can give me? As I said, the card has MODEL : P1041 etched onto it, along with NVA-P1041-000(B), which I would guess means the same thing. Thanks.

Solution
If it only has one 6 pin, that is all it needs.

Some companies have built "green" versions of cards that use less power by either getting a better quality gpu(low voltage) or slightly down clocking the card. They also had an SE version that may have used less power.

The reference card DID have 2 of them for sure.
If it only has one 6 pin, that is all it needs.

Some companies have built "green" versions of cards that use less power by either getting a better quality gpu(low voltage) or slightly down clocking the card. They also had an SE version that may have used less power.

The reference card DID have 2 of them for sure.

Solution

Tubristus

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Great, thanks for the blindingly fast reply :D That's put my mind at ease.