[SOLVED] How many case fans do i need?

May 7, 2022
i have a Inwin 303 case, and a ax370 k3 motherboard.
the motherboard only supports 2 case fans, so i was questioning wether I should get a fan splitter because alot of people are saying that 3 fans is optimal for thermals.

Solution
I have a 3060 Ti, a ryzen 7 1700 oc to 3.7 ghz and the stock wraith cooler put to max rpm.
The fans I bought are the Arctic p12
Fans: (y)

Wraith: this cooler is a type of air cooler called a downdraft. The downdraft does not work too well these days for 2 reasons:
1)Tempered glass side panels - no more direct source of fresh air. Chassis of old with side vents were more common.
2)Most open air gpu coolers dump their waste heat inside the PC, making them the closest 'cool air intake' for downdrafts. The higher the gpu's power use, the more heat the cpu cooler gets to take in, and most downdrafts don't have a very high thermal capacity to begin with.
Blower/turbo gpu coolers were more common in PCs; they pushed their heat right...
i have a Inwin 303 case, and a ax370 k3 motherboard.
the motherboard only supports 2 case fans, so i was questioning wether I should get a fan splitter because alot of people are saying that 3 fans is optimal for thermals.
I looked at the specs for your case and it says it holds 7 fans so personally I would install 7 fans. You could get a 6 fan splitter for the bottom and top fans. Maybe something that draws power from a sata power connector.

May 7, 2022
I looked at the specs for your case and it says it holds 7 fans so personally I would install 7 fans. You could get a 6 fan splitter for the bottom and top fans. Maybe something that draws power from a sata power connector.
the thing is im trying to keep it at a budget, so all those splitters cost around 10 dollars each in Australia, and the fans im thinking about getting are 10 dollars each

Your case is unusual in that it plans on having input airflow from the bottom and exhaust at the top.How much cooling you need is determined by your cpu and gpu.
For best cooling, I think I would install only three 120mm intakes at the bottom.
air will exhaust somewhere, likely out the top taking component heat with it.
No need for rear exhaust or top exhaust fans.
If you want the fans to run at 100% all the time, you could attach them directly to the psu assuming the fans have molex adapters.
The more likely 3/4 pin fan connectors can go directly to the motherboard.
motherboard specs say you have 2 sys fan headers, one sysfan/pump header and one cpu fan header.
Assuming you have an air cooler, it's fan will connect to the cpu fan header.
The three case fans can use the two sys fan headers plus the one designated for pump header.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Inwin 303.
/looks up images
Doesn't look like this one has any preinstalled fans... :unsure:

@Bayomayo0 , it really would've helped if you'd said what some of your parts were, like the cpu, cpu cooler, gpu...
What are these $10 dollar fans you intend on getting? Because it looks like static pressure focused ones would be ideal for both the bottom and top.

Ok. I see a chimney stack setup with this one. 3 fans: 2 at the bottom(rear and middle), and one at the top next to the psu. IF possible, and IF using a tower air cooler, turn it vertically to work with the bottom to top airflow path.
Also depending on what you cpu cooler is, that rear fan slot may be best sealed off or used as an intake to the cpu cooler.
Another also: consider removing the PCIe slot guards to allow more air to get to the gpu. You can DIY a dust filter using stockings that are no longer being used.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I agree with geofelt - i would just put 3 120mm in bottom and let it blow heat out of case. No need for exhaust, as it shouldn't stay inside long enough. Sealed front only makes it easier.

shame its only 120, my last case has 3 x 180mm in base... so I know it works.

Just cause you can install 7 fans, doesn't mean you should. Can be counter productive.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You can get this 5 fan set for relatively little money and nice thing is you can connect them to one another, good fans overall so imo worth the buy.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/LmCFf7/arctic-p12-pst-563-cfm-120-mm-fans-5-pack-acfan00137a
you could for instance put 2 in the top, 2 in the bottom and one at the back.

Is it btw this motherboard?
https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K3-rev-10/sp#sp

this one has,

1. 1 x CPU fan header
  2. 1 x water cooling CPU fan header
  3. 2 x system fan headers
  4. 1 x system fan/water cooling pump header
nrs 2+4 can also be used for normal fans.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022
Inwin 303.
/looks up images
Doesn't look like this one has any preinstalled fans... :unsure:

@Bayomayo0 , it really would've helped if you'd said what some of your parts were, like the cpu, cpu cooler, gpu...
What are these $10 dollar fans you intend on getting? Because it looks like static pressure focused ones would be ideal for both the bottom and top.

Ok. I see a chimney stack setup with this one. 3 fans: 2 at the bottom(rear and middle), and one at the top next to the psu. IF possible, and IF using a tower air cooler, turn it vertically to work with the bottom to top airflow path.
Also depending on what you cpu cooler is, that rear fan slot may be best sealed off or used as an intake to the cpu cooler.
Another also: consider removing the PCIe slot guards to allow more air to get to the gpu. You can DIY a dust filter using stockings that are no longer being used.
I have a 3060 Ti, a ryzen 7 1700 oc to 3.7 ghz and the stock wraith cooler put to max rpm.

May 7, 2022
You can get this 5 fan set for relatively little money and nice thing is you can connect them to one another, good fans overall so imo worth the buy.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/LmCFf7/arctic-p12-pst-563-cfm-120-mm-fans-5-pack-acfan00137a
you could for instance put 2 in the top, 2 in the bottom and one at the back.

Is it btw this motherboard?
https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K3-rev-10/sp#sp

this one has,

nrs 2+4 can also be used for normal fans.
Yes this is my motherboard, and thanks for the fan, I already bought 2, but if I need more I will definitely buy those

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Wraith: this cooler is a type of air cooler called a downdraft. The downdraft does not work too well these days for 2 reasons:
1)Tempered glass side panels - no more direct source of fresh air. Chassis of old with side vents were more common.
2)Most open air gpu coolers dump their waste heat inside the PC, making them the closest 'cool air intake' for downdrafts. The higher the gpu's power use, the more heat the cpu cooler gets to take in, and most downdrafts don't have a very high thermal capacity to begin with.
Blower/turbo gpu coolers were more common in PCs; they pushed their heat right out the back.

Don't know how many fans you've bought... at the very least, what I would do, now that I know what the cpu cooler is:
-2x bottom intake.
-1x rear intake. Hopefully, it'll help the Wraith cooler.
-1x top exhaust, next to the psu.

Solution
May 7, 2022

Blower/turbo gpu coolers were more common in PCs; they pushed their heat right out the back.

Don't know how many fans you've bought... at the very least, what I would do, now that I know what the cpu cooler is:
-2x bottom intake.
-1x rear intake. Hopefully, it'll help the Wraith cooler.
-1x top exhaust, next to the psu.
thanks for the recommendation, i bought 2 fans and they are working perfectly, i dropped about 10 degrees when playing games
i also figured out that i can plug a case fan into the pump sys fan slot, so i can install another one if neccessary
(y)