[SOLVED] How many displays does Intel UHD Graphics 770 iGPU support ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2022
According to Intel documentation, the new 12th gen CPUs with integrated UHD Graphics 770 supports 4 displays. See specification. (I don't care about gaming performance, I use it for work only.)
It also says that only eDP, DP, and HDMI graphics outputs are supported. But eDP is only for integrated flat panels, so it remains 2 usable outputs. In my interpretation, it means that the iGPU can handle eg 2 DP and 2 HDMI output at once. Is it correct?

I was able to use 3 displays with i7-4770 and i7-6700, and now want to use it with 12700k. However, I can not find any motherboard with 3 display outputs. All I have found only supports 2 (1xDP and1x HDMI). Is there something I missed and the UHD 770 can not handle this or just no motherboard implements this feature?

Do I really need a discrete VGA card with 12700k to handle 3 displays?

Solution
You are probably going to have to daisy chain on DP with monitors that can support it. Due to the interface inconsistencies in the market today (Displayport, HDMI and maybe legacy being supported on the same card) it is often not possible to max out monitor count on a card without daisy chaining the DP even on discrete cards. That means monitors that will support it. In all fairness though back in the DVI days high monitor count was usually supported by the chipset with no way of getting there at all with most cards. At least if you have DP on daisy chain today it can actually be done if you shell out the bucks for the monitors.

Update: It isn't good for gaming if that is what you are after but you might look into USB to HDMI...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Feb 17, 2022
Unfortunately, I have come to the same result. As I know daisy chain requires special monitors. Even if they are not so rare but still not all displays support it.

In any case, I find it a bit interesting that while progress has been made at the iGPU level, motherboard manufacturers are completely ignoring this need. In our company, everyone uses 3 monitors and so we can't upgrade our machines without monitor replacement or dedicated VGA.

jasonf2

Distinguished
You are probably going to have to daisy chain on DP with monitors that can support it. Due to the interface inconsistencies in the market today (Displayport, HDMI and maybe legacy being supported on the same card) it is often not possible to max out monitor count on a card without daisy chaining the DP even on discrete cards. That means monitors that will support it. In all fairness though back in the DVI days high monitor count was usually supported by the chipset with no way of getting there at all with most cards. At least if you have DP on daisy chain today it can actually be done if you shell out the bucks for the monitors.

Update: It isn't good for gaming if that is what you are after but you might look into USB to HDMI converters. Or discrete graphics.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.