[SOLVED] How many extra case fans will I need?

Nov 2, 2021
So I am planning to build a PC and I think I have all of my parts picked. The only thing I'm worried about is if I will need extra case fans because the TD500 Mesh already comes with 3. Is that enough or do I need additional fans for the back or the top? If so, what are some good performance and quiet fans that don't cost too much?

I'm also open to changes to my current picks since I don't have any of them yet. So please feel free to suggest better alternatives for the parts I've picked. I am a first-time builder so there is a lot I don't know.

I am aware of the GPU situation, we don't have to worry about that, I have people that can help me with getting a GPU.

Thank you for helping.

Here is my build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/THtjfP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($519.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card (Purchased For $999.99)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.35 @ Amazon)
Total: $2484.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-03 11:42 EDT-0400

Solution
"Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory"
Get a 2x 16GB or a 4x 8GB kit. Don't add them like that - there's no guarantee it'll work.
The timings on that kit isn't very good either, at 3600 18-22-22-42. Ryzen is already picky about that. 3600 16-16-16-36 or 3600 15-16-16-36 is better.

Also, the D15 will not mesh well with that tall ram. Both it and the chassis' air cooler clearance is 165mm, but the D15's front fan normally has ram clearance up to 31mm.
Vengeance RGB Pro is 51mm tall. Front fan will either need to be moved to the back, or removed entirely.
Then again, maybe the 165mm on both is a bit too close for comfort...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Get a 2x 16GB or a 4x 8GB kit. Don't add them like that - there's no guarantee it'll work.
The timings on that kit isn't very good either, at 3600 18-22-22-42. Ryzen is already picky about that. 3600 16-16-16-36 or 3600 15-16-16-36 is better.

Also, the D15 will not mesh well with that tall ram. Both it and the chassis' air cooler clearance is 165mm, but the D15's front fan normally has ram clearance up to 31mm.
Vengeance RGB Pro is 51mm tall. Front fan will either need to be moved to the back, or removed entirely.

"Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive"
If this is supposed to be a game library, it's slow. 7200rpm drive or faster.
Perhaps do a 500GB SSD for the C drive - OS only doesn't need a whole TB - and another 2TB SSD for the library?
2TB too small for library then? Ok, HDD it is then - but the 7200rpm suggestion for it still stands.

"Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500"
I suggest the TD500 Mesh instead. You'll have an easier time cooling the hardware, and the 3 preinstalled fans will actually be able to draw air behind the front panel.

Solution
Nov 2, 2021

"Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive"
If this is supposed to be a game library, it's slow. 7200rpm drive or faster.
Perhaps do a 500GB SSD for the C drive - OS only doesn't need a whole TB - and another 2TB SSD for the library?
2TB too small for library then? Ok, HDD it is then - but the 7200rpm suggestion for it still stands.

"Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500"
I suggest the TD500 Mesh instead. You'll have an easier time cooling the hardware, and the 3 preinstalled fans will actually be able to draw air behind the front panel.
For the memory, I didn't know two 2x8 kits wouldn't work. So that can be an issue? Also, what do you mean by "timings?" That's a term I've never heard before.

The fitting of the ram is also something I didn't think about. How sure are you that they won't fit? Should I buy shorter ram then?

For storage, games that I will play often will go on the SSD, and games that I don't play much will go on the HDD. The HDD is also for keeping files too.

I am going for the TD 500 Mesh. It just doesn't say it here.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For the memory, I didn't know two 2x8 kits wouldn't work. So that can be an issue? Also, what do you mean by "timings?" That's a term I've never heard before.
1)You become the beta tester when it comes to mixing kits - that even includes kits with similar frequency and timings.
BSODs, system freezing, and OS corruption(takes time) are some of the symptoms of a mixed kit that wasn't compatible.

2)You've heard of Cas Latency, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS? Probably not.
Ryzen is bit more sensitive about that - frequency alone isn't enough. It might be easier to show you this: https://www.youtube(dot)com/watch?v=AGux0pANft0

The fitting of the ram is also something I didn't think about. How sure are you that they won't fit? Should I buy shorter ram then?
1)TD500 Mesh air cooler clearance: 165mm
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro: 51mm
NH-D15 in the default fan positions: 165mm. Like this, the front fan clears memory up to 31mm tall - it's actually 32mm, but you don't actually want the fan and ram to touch.
The front fan can be raised up to clear taller memory modules, but that increases the total height of the cooler. The TD500 Mesh already doesn't have any room to give, so the front fan either needs to be installed behind the 2nd tower, or removed entirely.

2)If you want to, but you're solely limited to low profile ram with the TD500 Mesh and NH-D15

For storage, games that I will play often will go on the SSD, and games that I don't play much will go on the HDD. The HDD is also for keeping files too.
Mmmk, I still recommend a 7200rpm drive, even if those games won't be played much. For the other files, it won't matter.
Also, if you need to clean install the OS(for some reason or another), it's going to be inconvenient for you with those games on the C drive.
No one likes doing it, 'cause it's a pain, but if it has a drive all to itself, it's less of a hassle.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021
1)You become the beta tester when it comes to mixing kits - that even includes kits with similar frequency and timings.
BSODs, system freezing, and OS corruption(takes time) are some of the symptoms of a mixed kit that wasn't compatible.

2)You've heard of Cas Latency, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS? Probably not.
Ryzen is bit more sensitive about that - frequency alone isn't enough. It might be easier to show you this: https://www.youtube(dot)com/watch?v=AGux0pANft0

1)TD500 Mesh air cooler clearance: 165mm
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro: 51mm
NH-D15 in the default fan positions: 165mm. Like this, the front fan clears memory up to 31mm tall - it's actually 32mm, but you don't actually want the fan and ram to touch.
The front fan can be raised up to clear taller memory modules, but that increases the total height of the cooler. The TD500 Mesh already doesn't have any room to give, so the front fan either needs to be installed behind the 2nd tower, or removed entirely.

2)If you want to, but you're solely limited to low profile ram with the TD500 Mesh and NH-D15

Mmmk, I still recommend a 7200rpm drive, even if those games won't be played much. For the other files, it won't matter.
Also, if you need to clean install the OS(for some reason or another), it's going to be inconvenient for you with those games on the C drive.
No one likes doing it, 'cause it's a pain, but if it has a drive all to itself, it's less of a hassle.
If I were to install the front fan behind the 2nd tower, would that be fine? Also, I do see that fan clearance for the case is 165 and the fan I'm choosing is also 165. Does that mean the fan would be touching the glass panel or something like that? Or would I not be able to close the glass panel at all?

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.98 @ Newegg)
I am going for the TD 500 Mesh. It just doesn't say it here.
TD500 ARGB is not the same as TD500 MESH. They will have different cooling performance.

td500argb_02_crystalline_panels-imageleftorright.png

td500m_02_poly_mesh-imageleftorright.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's a good alternative for the NH-D15 that would fit that case? Or maybe a better case?
I feel the chassis is ultimately up to you - it's going to be something you'll be looking at for a while, so it's got to be something you like.
I can work with the cpu cooler options instead.
Dark Rock Pro 4. Wouldn't work with the Vengeance RGB Pro, but if you change that to some G.Skill Trident Z, that'd work.
NH-D15S Chromax Black. Compatible with any ram kit.
Scythe FUMA 2. High compatibility, thanks to its thinner front fan.
Thermalright ARO-M14G. Would work with a 2x 16GB kit.

Nov 2, 2021
I feel the chassis is ultimately up to you - it's going to be something you'll be looking at for a while, so it's got to be something you like.
I can work with the cpu cooler options instead.
Dark Rock Pro 4. Wouldn't work with the Vengeance RGB Pro, but if you change that to some G.Skill Trident Z, that'd work.
NH-D15S Chromax Black. Compatible with any ram kit.
Scythe FUMA 2. High compatibility, thanks to its thinner front fan.
Thermalright ARO-M14G. Would work with a 2x 16GB kit.
I like the FUMA 2. I could go for that one if it can deliver close noise levels or at least performance.

But honestly, this case and fan situation messed me up so badly because I really like the case and the fan that I picked. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad you pointed that out, thank you for that. It's better to find out now than find out when I already have them.

The part that I don't want to change is the case. Now I am thinking about getting an AIO instead. Because they seem to be also quiet and effective too, but the maintenance worries me a little, and the fact that I wouldn't know when the pump isn't working because I can't see the liquid inside, but on a fan, I could notice it not spinning.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am thinking about getting an AIO instead. Because they seem to be also quiet and effective too...
Well, there are things you don't find out until you've tried 'em - in this case, both air coolers and AIOs.
NH-D15S, True Spirit 140 Power, Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B, Hyper 212 Evo, Eisbaer Aurora 360, Celsius S36, Celsius+ S28...
I have used/am using these. AIOs are overrated. They've been raised high up on a pedestal by certain people, while completely overlooking their shortcomings.
Raw performance, yeah, an air cooler isn't going to top an AIO - for the most part. That gap narrows due to our ears; coolers' advertised performance is behind 100% fan speed.
Most users can't tolerate that, especially on AIOs, because they typically have faster and louder fans on them - they have to be, because the radiator itself presents greater air resistance than that on an air cooler's heatsink.
I also see people double-down on high air resistance, not realizing what they did - take installing a 240/280mm in NZXT's H500's front panel, for example.
Fans: 140mm > 120mm. At the same rpm, they can move more air while having a nicer sound profile.
Anyway, without dragging on too long: from my experience, 140mm air coolers and 280mm AIOs are at the top.
240mm and 120mm should be skipped - for the most part; there's smaller form factor chassis that don't support a larger air cooler.
360mm and 420mm are situational. The top of the chassis is pretty much the only viable location for them.

the maintenance worries me a little, and the fact that I wouldn't know when the pump isn't working because I can't see the liquid inside, but on a fan, I could notice it not spinning.
Ehh maintenance isn't THAT bad, just make sure you use both hands when handling them.
As for the latter:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bWRSQXx7I