How Many of You Program?

This site is full of hardware geniuses, but I am totally curious how many of you program. I've been programming for a few years myself and am highly skilled especially in web design. Do you have any programming experience?

I hope this topic fits, I thought it'd be interesting to see how many hardware people know programming.

anti-duck

Honorable
I used to do some web development, scripting and programming using HTML, XHTML, DHTML, CSS, Flash, JavaScript, ActionScript, CGI with Python, C#.net, PHP and Java but I haven't done any in years and don't need to use it anymore in my job as a *drum roll*... accountant. I'll be very rusty.

Python syntax annoys me too much, I can never get used to its informality. I prefer PHP.

I program an awful lot.

The vast majority of what I write is in Verilog and C (embedded systems design), but I'm also very proficient in several assembly languages, C++, C#, Java, and Python.

I admire people who program Assembly. Too many new programmers today get too caught up in high level languages without understanding any form of machine code. The best Assembly coder I've seen is Chris Sawyer, especially considering how efficient he programmed the Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2 games. I plan on learning x86 Assembly eventually. In terms of C languages I am just a starter with C#, as I stated above I mainly mastered web design so now I am moving on to C# and someday hopefully Assembly.

Wordpress is great, but I think it's vitally important that people gain sufficient knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Javascript before downloading templates. Another thing that draws my concern is how too many people rely on JQuery nowadays - they think it is some sort of god. I use plain Javascript because I don't want to have a billion unused functions on every webpage.

I did some programming back in my Apple IIe and then DOS days, mainly BASICS and now, every once in a while I'll start playing in Python but then I remember why I stopped programming... it's not my thing (although my python program is growing slowly - or it's just becoming messier, I'm not sure at this point)

Python programs naturally become messier as they grow.

Me too !

Then In the army I used a Motorolla suitcase assembler kit ... burned a few eproms ... 6809's were very popular.

Had a TI-58C with the little prom for matrices and determinants ... had the thermal printer dock too.

Learned a lot ... got into a bit of trouble when the interwibble got started ... then became the pure soul you know now !!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
By education I'm a programmer(C++ mostly, but BASIC, Pascal, Java, and HTML as well), but these days my programming is limited to business rules in Oracle Financial applications (and for any good programmer these are more about figuring out the formula for what you need it to do than the actual syntax, its not very challenging stuff). I taught myself how to make Android programs a few years ago which was fun, but TBH I'm just too busy to do it these days.

jmferris

Reputable
May 5, 2015
I've been doing it professionally for twenty years now, and started as a hobbyist in grade school. In fact, reading the manual for my old Mattel Aquarius - copying code samples and watching them magically do something - was what had hooked me. Was in the process of getting my Computer Science degree, but left school when the market first started getting hot for anyone who knew what a computer was. At one point, I was within a dozen credits of my B.S., but never was motivated to go back and finish it. Eventually, I got to the point where my resume was more of a selling point than the education aspect was. Definitely not discouraging people from degree studies - it just was not for me, and I took an opportunity to hit the ground running when it became available.

My career arch has been varied, both being in the trenches and in management. I've settled into more of the architectural aspects now, so I have some level of oversight, without actually losing the hands-on aspect of the job. Over the years, I've used many languages, depending on the shop: ANSI C, C++, COBOL, Perl, VB (am ashamed of that one), Java, and C#. Despite the badgering that Microsoft has gotten over the years, I find C# to be extremely enjoyable. From a specifications aspect, it is a beautiful language. It obviously borrows heavily from other established languages, but it is the polish and tooling that make it my favorite language to work with. Also, I have ended up using it more, from a length of time perspective, than any of the other languages that I've used.

Have always had an interest in hardware, and have always loathed working in business-facing shops that would give developers the same underpowered corporate assembly line systems that it would give its end users. Those are the times that I would spend wishing that I had a better rig. Then, there are the times (like now) where I run on my own hardware. My current development rig is a beast, with an i7 Hexacore, 64GB, higher-end dual GTXs - and even that makes my job more enjoyable. Being able to host VMs on my rig to emulate a user's desktop and approximate specs, along with some of our servers, makes life so much easier.

FrenchMan

Reputable
May 15, 2015
I started to learn two year ago in the school and I continued home. Now I know a few languages such php,javascript,jquery,ajax, C#,VB.NET and a little python (sorry for my english)

McHenryB

Admirable
I've been programming computers for about 30 years now in a variety of computer languages on computers varying from embedded boards to mainframes. My current interests are language compilers and hobby operating systems as I think these provide some of the greatest challenges available to the intellect.

galerecon

Reputable
May 29, 2015

Some people tell me that mvc is slowly going out of date. Is this true?
I give props to people who work with Embedded software, I dealt with microcontrollers before and it is difficult.

randomizer

Champion
Many people will tell you many things. Most of it is opinion. If you work in front end web development for startups or companies that role out new products rapidly then yes, you could argue that, but you could argue that its replacement is going out of date next month too. If you work on more enterprise-y projects you tend to stick with battle-tested patterns and technologies because the risk is lower and there is little to gain from trying new fads other than learning overhead.