[SOLVED] How many PCIe lines my GPU use? (GPU+2xNvme+Capture card) 10900k

Neod!mium

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
I have tried to find this answer everywhere but there is not too much information or it leads me to very complicated things.

So 10900k
iGame Colorful z490 x v20
3x PCIe x16 (gen3) (x8 + x4 + x8)
GTX 1080Ti
Samsung Nvme 980 pro (250gb)
Samsung Nvme (500gb) Server memory
AVerMedia 4k (PCIe x1 slot)

Here is some information in the table below:

So I don't know much about this field

I know that my GPU can't work on x16 and if I understand correctly it's not a problem because x16 gives me 0.5 to 1% better performance than PCIe x8 but with so many slots the GPU might work on x4 and it could seriously reduce performance .

I don't understand exactly what it means (x8 + x4 + x8) when 10900k has only 16 lanes.

Can you help me a little with the answer?
And if I take out the Capture Card and connect it to the usb will it put the GPU on the x8 properly?

Thank you

Solution
Everything looks fine. If you are only using 1 x16 slot, then the GPU is running at x16.

Your 1x slots and M.2 drives should not be a factor.

You can confirm this by installing GPU-Z, watch the PCIe revision when you put the GPU under a load.

-----

The board looks like it has 3 M.2 slots, the one closet to the GPU is likely connected to the lanes that would go with an 11th gen chip. Lowest x16 slot will be connected to the chipset, likely only runs at 4x. And then you have 3 1x slots, probably only two useable because of the GPU. They might share bandwidth with the last slot and your SATA ports (common)

Miners connect their x16 graphics cards to 1x adapters, generally. Lets them get lots of cards on a single board. You can run a...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No the two primary slots from the CPU can only run at 16x or 8x, and the second only at 8x. If you install anything in the second slot, 8x on the primary slot. Won't split 12x or anything like that.

The chipset is providing PCIe to all the other slots, and the CPU and chipset are connected via DMI (also a PCIe 4x essentially) And with Z490 you may have a dead M.2 slot that only works with 11th gen CPUs, 11th gen CPUs have 20 lanes.

Reactions: Neod!mium

Neod!mium

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
No the two primary slots from the CPU can only run at 16x or 8x, and the second only at 8x. If you install anything in the second slot, 8x on the primary slot. Won't split 12x or anything like that.

The chipset is providing PCIe to all the other slots, and the CPU and chipset are connected via DMI (also a PCIe 4x essentially) And with Z490 you may have a dead M.2 slot that only works with 11th gen CPUs, 11th gen CPUs have 20 lanes.

So it works on x8 GPU

but people for mining use PCIe x1 or x4 if I understood correctly, their GPU runs on fewer lanes.

Interesting
This motherboard does not support the 11 gene (because iGame did not release the bios for the 11 gene)
so it is intended for exactly 10 generations

The GPU runs x8
Both nvme-a work
and Capture card work

I know it works because
1st Nvme is C: win10
2nd Nvme is programs D:
And the capture card works normally ... I think

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Everything looks fine. If you are only using 1 x16 slot, then the GPU is running at x16.

Your 1x slots and M.2 drives should not be a factor.

You can confirm this by installing GPU-Z, watch the PCIe revision when you put the GPU under a load.

-----

The board looks like it has 3 M.2 slots, the one closet to the GPU is likely connected to the lanes that would go with an 11th gen chip. Lowest x16 slot will be connected to the chipset, likely only runs at 4x. And then you have 3 1x slots, probably only two useable because of the GPU. They might share bandwidth with the last slot and your SATA ports (common)

Miners connect their x16 graphics cards to 1x adapters, generally. Lets them get lots of cards on a single board. You can run a x16 GPU at 1x for graphics, but it won't perform great, but most motherboards don't have open ended PCIe slots that would allow that.

Solution