how many restarts does it take to damage a motherboard?

thebest21445

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
i currently have a H97-D3H from Gigabyte, i have pretty bad OCD on my computer so i restarted a bunch of times on it to get the "perfect restart".My last bios time gets from 11.6 to maximum of 15.1, seems normal? in crystaldiskinfo it says i have 1033 startups on my WDC blue and 1650 hours on the time the drive has been active for. i heard that shutting down and turning off frequently may damage capacitors, but i only had restarted every 1-5 minutes. probably not a good thing. also what are your opinions on gigabyte motherboards? u think that the quality of it could withstand that many restarts at the time?

Solution
when you restart or power on there always a little power spike depending how good your power supply is. the better units have better hold up time. also most new mb dont fully power off now with windows 10. they just go into low power mode. most times there still 5v logic on them. you may not fry a mb turning it on and off to see ifg you can make it boot faster. but you can cause a hard drive crash if the drives are in the middle of parking and then have to unpark. if you want fast boot speeds you need a ssd. hard drive have a set data speed that they cant move any data faster then there set speed. a ssd bows them out of the water for that. also you have to turn off wait time for errror in the bios. if you do you may need a 3 party tool...
when you restart or power on there always a little power spike depending how good your power supply is. the better units have better hold up time. also most new mb dont fully power off now with windows 10. they just go into low power mode. most times there still 5v logic on them. you may not fry a mb turning it on and off to see ifg you can make it boot faster. but you can cause a hard drive crash if the drives are in the middle of parking and then have to unpark. if you want fast boot speeds you need a ssd. hard drive have a set data speed that they cant move any data faster then there set speed. a ssd bows them out of the water for that. also you have to turn off wait time for errror in the bios. if you do you may need a 3 party tool to boot into the bios as the keyboard f1/f2 hit may not work. wiht power supply and mb if there used normaly thye cna last for years before there are issues. most times it when there overclocked or people swap parts over and over that they break or snap parts off of the mb.

Solution

thebest21445

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015

thanksi also have a very high quality PSU from seasonic, 750W gold 80+. ive been thinking of getting the new ssd.. do u think it will make my last bios boot time steady and not fluctuate from 11.6-15.1 seconds? and maybe stay at around 4 seconds constantly? ill also stop booting my computer on and off to reserve life span and not cause the spike.

with boot times a ssd will help but also go under start up tab under msconfig make sure things are off like java update and onther non needed aps. all that should be on is mouse/sound and anti virus. whe nyou start adding printer software and steam...it cause boot time to get longer and longer as the aps load at start up.

thebest21445

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015

yes i had disabled some things a while ago on the selective startup and now i guess it boots slightly faster.